Typical Oil Leak fix?

Gorkon

My relatively low mile '94 Pathy has got an oil leak and I'm trying to figure out exactly where it's coming from and how to solve it. It appears to be mainly coming from somewhere near the oil filter -- my starter and other components have a lot of dirty oil and gunk. Have any of you heard of a typical problem and solution?

thanks

My suggestion is to keep looking. Wipe everything down as clean as you can get, use some degreaser if you can. The trouble with diagnosing the starter area is that it sits right below the fliter in Nissan's flawless design, when you change it, you are gaurnteed to spill some oil, which attracts dirt, etc. Clean the erea the best you can, and se if the oil returns before you change the filter again. You might just have a bad seal on it. Good luck

M.M.

-bounce- I know this sounds far fetched..but check the back of your valve covers.....I couldn't figure out where mine was obviously leaking (it wasn't burning the oil)..and presto. There it was. It also got oil down onto my oil filter too..soooooo..just a suggestion! Good luck!

Same thing happened to our 95 Pathfinder with 70,000 miles this spring. It was the oil pressure sending unit, which is just a little aft of the oil filter. If you can get to the oil filter (I recommend unsnaping the splash skirt in the wheel well and going in that way) you can replace the sending unit (about $16).

Proceedure:

Jack up front of truck.

Removing front wheel optional, but makes access easier.

Unsnap top of splash skirt.

Remove oil filter (probably optional, but makes access much easier)

Disconnect wires from sending unit.

Unscrew old unit.

Put small amount of sealant on threads of new unit, and install. (Service Manual indicates tighten to between 7-12 ft-lbs)

Clean up the area, reinstall, start and check for leaks, and you're done!

Keep in mind, the oil filter itself is kinda squeezed above the passenger halfshaft - I know that especially after an oil change, my Pathfinder looks like it's leaking like crazy, when really it's just oil that got dumped out during the change. Try to totally clean :allclean: the area you suspect (around the filter, sensor, and below) and check a few days later.