Looking For A Little Wisdom

4doordrift

Got my car back from nissan today, As i predicted, 6720.23$ bill. They want to just put a new longblock in it. They found that the engine was low 4 quarts of oil in only 6000 kms, but i dont understand how, its not leaking any oil, and its not burning any oil, so where is it going? The service manager said because its a manual, crank case presuure is higher so it blows oil past the rings. if this were the case, it would be burning oil. but he didnt seem to understand that. I checked the oil a few days ago, and it showed adequate levels on the dipstick, so i really dont get it. And i am not gonna have them install a used motor(89,000kms) in my car for 6000$ and do the spark plugs for 400$ and the belts for 250$. Just rediculous. Im likely going to get the motor rebuilt and install it myself. They topped up the oil, and the car runs smooth as ever, no tick no oil pressure light, everythings good. WHERE IS THIS 4 LITRES OF OIL GOING IN ONLY 6000kms and WHY?

WHERE IS THIS 4 LITRES OF OIL GOING IN ONLY 6000kms and WHY?

The VQ35 is well known for oil burning issues. You may not have blue smoke but it can still be burning. How many km's are on it? The 3 or 4 friends of mine with 3.5 powered vehicles started losing oil at 180k kms.

The VQ35 is well known for oil burning issues. You may not have blue smoke but it can still be burning. How many km's are on it? The 3 or 4 friends of mine with 3.5 powered vehicles started losing oil at 180k kms.

only 150000kms on it. 4 litres in a regular oilchange interval is far too much

Compression or leak down test? I have a leak down tester you can borrow in you want to come to Vancouver :)

hmm tempting, but i dont think i can make the trip anytime soon. Called a machine shop in my area to discuss further options, and they suggested that because the motor still has relatively low kms on it, To try something they've had luck with in similar situations, which is, to use this really powerful chemical they have on the inside of the cylinder walls, and pistons, aswell as valve train, to get rid of all the gunk and build up, and to change/inspect the PCV. He recommended doing this before going the route of engine rebuild. it wont neccesarily fix the problem, but will drastically reduce the amount of oil being burned.

Well it's 4am can't sleep, thinking about my pathfinder and it's excessive oil consumption, on my iPhone surfing google, trying to sort it out. Found out I have the all to common excessive oil consumption of a vq35,4quarts in 4000kms.

http://www.netcrafting.com/car_mx/pathfinder/oil.html

Has anybody had luck with replacing the right valve cover with a new one?!

I also came across Something called 'Nissan Consumers Affairs' and a phone number. Is this something I should call them about.??

Seems like an all too common problem, why hasn't there been a recall, thinking about starting a movement..

There was no recall because this is not a safety issue. In Japan there is a saying that goes like "if it smells, cover it" and that's what they do. A recall would have much more of an impact to the automaker rather than just pretending the problem didn't exist and dealing with individual consumers.

By the way, that's a helpful link! :aok:

I agree that was a very interesting link. It was very thorough, and what he said made sense. I've had my car since 6 miles on the odo, and have changed my oil religiously every 3,750 like the manual said. Kind of an odd interval, but what the heck. When I hit 100,000 miles I switched to synthetic and increased my interval to every 5,000 miles. I have never had a problem with burning oil (as of yesterday), and I'm up to 132,748 miles. So I've probably kept that little drain hole free of debris by changing frequently. If I do start burning oil, I'll definitely check it!

If a new valve cover is like $200, I think it would be a good investment. The VQ35 is a good engine, and if that's all it would take to keep it running for a few tens of thousands of miles more, then I'd do it. It also proves that conventional wisdom of frequent oil changes is a good long-term investment.