My cool, late Christmas gift

Precise1

It just showed up today, a late gift from my wife. She bought me the 40" rifle sling which is made up solely of 80' (25m) of 550lb test milspec paracord weaved together with Uncle Mikes quick detachable super swivels on either end. The paracord is about 1/8 (3mm) in diameter.

https://www.survivalstraps.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RIFLE-SLING

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-slings-uncle-mikes-quick-detachable-super-swivels-2.shtml

Quite frankly (and she will see this), I would have preferred the belt but that is ok for two reasons. 1) I will simply buy myself the belt now and 2) my 10/22 doesn't have sling studs/swivels so I will just have to go and buy a rifle that does... :D

For the survival geek this is a cool and potentially useful design so check out some of the other stuff they have. I will tell you right now that the products are exactly as advertised, well made with quality materials and just plain cool!! :aok:

B

Thats pretty cool B. I learned how to weave the bracelets, but they only use around 8 feet of cord. The regular cobra weave is only around 5/8 wide. That would be too skinny for a rifle sling. How wide is yours? I guess with more internal cords the weave would come out wider.

I have a box of hot pink and lime green para cord that I ordered for my daughter to make bracelets for all her friends.

James

I was JUST looking at some of these! I really wanted to get a paracord belt...44" waist is like 3 miles of paracord ;)

You really never know when you could need some cord, especially when you're out wheeling/hiking/camping

edit--

I just read the last part of your post..lol, I guess paracord belts are more popular than I originally thought!

There's a guy that makes a "hybrid" belt, and they look GOOD, its two different knots, and a latch mechanism that is more like a sliding setup, I forget what they call them (fully adjustable vs holes in the belt for a normal style)

Edited by OldSlowReliable

I have no idea what's goein on besides something pink is gettin made and that is almost enough to make me want it :shrug:

100_6194.jpg

Talk about some neon colors, it's glowing in the picture! This is how my daughter returned the box to me when she was finished with it. I can get her to make you one too! These are her favorite colors, her room is painted top half pink and lower half green with zebra print on everything else.

James

It just showed up today, a late gift from my wife. She bought me the 40" rifle sling which is made up solely of 80' (25m) of 550lb test milspec paracord weaved together with Uncle Mikes quick detachable super swivels on either end. The paracord is about 1/8 (3mm) in diameter.

https://www.survivalstraps.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RIFLE-SLING

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-slings-uncle-mikes-quick-detachable-super-swivels-2.shtml

Quite frankly (and she will see this), I would have preferred the belt but that is ok for two reasons. 1) I will simply buy myself the belt now and 2) my 10/22 doesn't have sling studs/swivels so I will just have to go and buy a rifle that does... :D

For the survival geek this is a cool and potentially useful design so check out some of the other stuff they have. I will tell you right now that the products are exactly as advertised, well made with quality materials and just plain cool!! :aok:

B

Hey now, I tried...I did not check to see if your rifle had the sling studs/swivels. :doh::(

Thats pretty cool B. I learned how to weave the bracelets, but they only use around 8 feet of cord. The regular cobra weave is only around 5/8 wide. That would be too skinny for a rifle sling. How wide is yours? I guess with more internal cords the weave would come out wider.

I have a box of hot pink and lime green para cord that I ordered for my daughter to make bracelets for all her friends.

James

That is cool.

I have no idea what's goein on besides something pink is gettin made and that is almost enough to make me want it :shrug:

:lol:

K

James

Ahh, you know how to make them?? That is cool!! ;)

Looking at the weave, I see how it is done, but I can't envision how to do it either. Perhaps I'll look it up some time. I have braided myself a shotgun strap in a pinch out of triple strands of twine and used key rings as the ends, but I'm not a skilled knot/rope guy.

The rifle strap is 1" wide and about 3/8" thick in the center, the cross section being an oval with tapering ends. Some people might like a wider strap, but it is just fine for me and a non issue if you are wearing a jacket or layers.

Holy NEON!! :D

I was JUST looking at some of these! I really wanted to get a paracord belt...44" waist is like 3 miles of paracord ;)

You really never know when you could need some cord, especially when you're out wheeling/hiking/camping

edit--

I just read the last part of your post..lol, I guess paracord belts are more popular than I originally thought!

There's a guy that makes a "hybrid" belt, and they look GOOD, its two different knots, and a latch mechanism that is more like a sliding setup, I forget what they call them (fully adjustable vs holes in the belt for a normal style)

44" Holy Crap!! You could rappel the Grand Canyon with yours!! :tongue:

See if you can post a link to the other belt too please.

I'm not really a hard core survival guy, but I appreciate utilitarian gear, dual purpose items like these and generaly functional tools and equipment. I always have a knife, lighter, key chain LED flashlight and such in my pockets. I figure it's about all that sets me above my ancestors of 10,000 years ago and soon I'll be walking around with 100'+ of rope too. :aok:

B

Look up "cobra weave" on youtube and you will find about a million videos of how to make a bracelet. The bracelets have two internal strands with the rest weaved around them. Then let me know how many internal strands you rifle sling has so I can make one for my AR. Lol!

James

It looks like it is a 6 strand center as I see 6 strands on one end and eight on the other with the outer 2 going into the weave.

Are you going with pink or lime green?? :D

B

seriously.. school the retarded here since I am intrigued. What is this? a carrying strap that unravels into a ton of kidnapping rope? (remember I aint a gun person but things that are a little 'different' that can still be useful still catch me)

Did you click on the links??

The place makes things like bracelets, watch straps, belts, rifle slings, etc out of paracord (read tough and reliable). It can be your date-rape cord if you want to look at it like that but I'm pretty sure that everyone is focusing on the general utility aspect. Consider you get Fido's collar of woven paracord. You would always have a dog leader/collar anywhere you went, even if the others are lost...

Does this make you spidy man? No. Does it mean you have 'survival' ability? Yes, it helps. 100 feet of 2x human weight line is valuable. You can construct everything from a hammock to a shelter to a raft with that. Odds are it will never happen, but the option is invaluable in my book.

B

It looks like it is a 6 strand center as I see 6 strands on one end and eight on the other with the outer 2 going into the weave.

Are you going with pink or lime green?? :D

B

Sounds good! The 8 strand end end is where they started the knot.

I hunt with one of those evil black rifles the gun grabbers hate so much. Got to keep it all black, wouldn't want to lessen the evil content.

Here is a picture of my daughter using my rifle to kill her first deer. I will have to build her a smaller one. This one is built for targets, its heavy. She wants lime green stocks on hers.

untitled.jpg

It ain't no 223 either, the upper is chambered in 243 WSSM. 95 grain 6mm ballistic tip traveling at 3100 fps (I checked it on a chrono) dropped every deer so far right where they were standing even at 300 yards. Now it will be carying 100 foot of para cord too.