Door Locks

So after my failed attempt at installing keyless unlock, all the locks have stopped working now...

The drivers side doesn't unlock, hasn't for a while (turns, but doesn't unlock, I think its that little yellow piece)so my ma (currently driving it due to other cars being broken) has to walk to the passenger side...not a big deal but that lock has been getting so stiff you can't turn it on the first 35 tries...and now it apparently won't turn atall (or so she says, I'm 3 hours away right now)

I'm looking for options, I can only find new ignitions online, not new keysets, and of the 1 or two pathfinders around here with keys in the ignition (at self pulls) their locks are in equal or worse condition..

here's what I have come up with as options-

-Find out wtf I'm doing wrong with my keyless...

-Replace that little yellow piece, and still have poorly working locks in general

-Find a nice California truck with a full set of keys, and replace the ignition, and the all the lock cylinders (best option imho)

-Stop locking my truck, and risk it getting stolen/vandalized... (and never get a new cd deck)

Ebay is your friend. Bought a new set of door locks for my Hardbody with 2 keys for $25. The little yellow clip things can be ordered at Nissan for like $1.50 each.

Though if you are looking for a complete set of locks (including the ignition) so that you have only one key, it will cost you some good money as you will likely not be able to find a used set in good shape. A new complete set is $200 or so.

I don't have a problem with two different keys. Though I would have bought a complete set from the start to have just one key if I would have known my ignition lock would seize up a month after I changed the door locks (requiring that I buy a new ignition lock assembly).

Ebay is your friend. Bought a new set of door locks for my Hardbody with 2 keys for $25. The little yellow clip things can be ordered at Nissan for like $1.50 each.

Though if you are looking for a complete set of locks (including the ignition) so that you have only one key, it will cost you some good money as you will likely not be able to find a used set in good shape. A new complete set is $200 or so.

I don't have a problem with two different keys. Though I would have bought a complete set from the start to have just one key if I would have known my ignition lock would seize up a month after I changed the door locks (requiring that I buy a new ignition lock assembly).

My point exactly...if I'm going through the trouble of changing 2/4...and then using two different keys...I may as well replace the rest...

That being said, I'd rather have a used set from a local member (and let them get my $$) than pay some schmuck on ebay to sell me a broken set that's "New in box!!!!"

edit-

I just remembered, that I believe locksmiths will rekey locks.....so I could buy a new set of door locks, have them rekeyed, and be all set :D..with my luck that will cost apx $100000000

Edited by OldSlowReliable

My point exactly...if I'm going through the trouble of changing 2/4...and then using two different keys...I may as well replace the rest...

That being said, I'd rather have a used set from a local member (and let them get my $$) than pay some schmuck on ebay to sell me a broken set that's "New in box!!!!"

edit-

I just remembered, that I believe locksmiths will rekey locks.....so I could buy a new set of door locks, have them rekeyed, and be all set :D..with my luck that will cost apx $100000000

In less your locks are really worn out a lock smith could just repair them. I had a lock smith rekey 6 fleet trucks for a company I used to work for, ignitions and doors. Some crack head broke into the office and stole a lock box with the spare keys. I had to take them all out for him though. Unless the body of the locks are worn out he could put new wafers in them and they would work like new. I don't remember the cost but he was charging by the hour and I had him sitting in our yard till after 9 o clock waiting on the last truck, so it probably was alot.

James

In less your locks are really worn out a lock smith could just repair them. I had a lock smith rekey 6 fleet trucks for a company I used to work for, ignitions and doors. Some crack head broke into the office and stole a lock box with the spare keys. I had to take them all out for him though. Unless the body of the locks are worn out he could put new wafers in them and they would work like new. I don't remember the cost but he was charging by the hour and I had him sitting in our yard till after 9 o clock waiting on the last truck, so it probably was alot.

James

They are pretty much shot...the little flap that closes when you remove the key has been broken on both for years, so the water has just been getting in there...I wouldn't be suprised if they were all frozen locked...

I'm sure that the $$ put into redoing them, would be the same ifnot more than just buying new locks and having them rekeyed...