Brakes & servicing

Guest joe19812

Guest joe19812

my 2001 Pathfinder is coming up on 60K miles so I need to start thinking about shelling out $$ for preventive maint and what I really need vs what the dealer wants me to do. Can someone provide recomendations on this? I'd like to keep my pf running well for a long time, but don't want to start spending lots of money unnecessarilly.

Also due for front brakes, dealer wants $280 just to do front brakes(includes 4wd bearing repack). Is this a good deal? Service guy on the phone said don't take it to brake shop because they'll over charge me with new calipers, etc. $280 already seems like overcharging though, any experience with this?

There isn't much you can do for brakes as 'preventative', other than don't use 'em hard. Not sure why the dealer is suggesting a wheel bearing repack at 60k. My 97 has 100k with original front rotors and the bearings have never been repacked. Not sure how the 2001s are designed, but on 96-99s you have to remove the front discs to get to the bearings.

I had front brake pads installed at 80k, rear shoes are still original. Rotors/drums are all original.

My dealer will look at the rotors this month, I'm starting to feel a vibration under hard braking and they'll determine if the rotors can be turned down or need to be replaced. If they can be turned down, they have a gadget that can resurface the rotors on the vehicle. If they need to be replaced, then I'll have the bearings repacked as preventative maintenence since they'll be ripping it apart anyway.

I was looking at an aftermarket rotor, but i figure since I got 100k with no complaints on OEM Nissan, I'll stick with that.

Ask your dealer to just check the brakes - I'd be really surprised if you need anything more than pads. Wheel bearings hold up well on Pathys, unless you've submerged them often in muddy water I think you're fine.

m.

Service guy on the phone said don't take it to brake shop because they'll over charge me with new calipers, etc.  $280 already seems like overcharging though, any experience with this?

your truck shouldn't ever need new calipers unless they're seized. The aren't like pads and rotors which naturally wear out. I'm on the OEM calipers with 170 000 km on the odo. I'm not even sure you'd need new rotors at 100 000km, unless they have uneven deposits on the rotor surface (vibrating pedal). The rear axle is dead easy to do yourself. You might as well replace the parking brake pads inside the rear rotor while it's off. The front ones are a little more tricky as it involves removing the hub, like herm mentionned, but as long as you don't mix up the parts and put them back on incorrectly, you should be ok. Screw the sevice guy, unless he's doing the job for free, go out and get yourself a haynes/chilton manual, (if availible) and start doing small maintence jobs yourself, your wallet will thank you. If you get stuck, just ask one of us. ;)

It's up to you on the bearings, but the service interval is 30k. If you let them go too long you could end up needing to replace the bearings and races. Mine started to grind and the races had marks at just under 90k. Had to replace everything, still under $100 in parts total but a little more work to remove the races.

Only special took is the appropriate locknut socket to get the bearings seated correctly, just takes a while the first time to get everything apart.

Not sure how the 2001s are designed, but on 96-99s you have to remove the front discs to get to the bearings.

I assume the 01 is the same as the 99.5

I did my bearings/hubs a few weeks ago - and yes, the rotors have to come off...

I say fix the brakes yourself. You can buy the pads for under $60 at a parts store and with a large C-clamp (~8") you can compress the caliper and replace the pads in under an hour. It is a pretty easy job and would save you over $200!

I just replaced all the pads on my '95 this past weekend and I had never done it before. I was suprised how easy it was. I used a Haynes manual and had all of them changed in about 1 1/2 hrs.

I have to get a CV boot replaced so I'll get the bearings repacked while there in there, but mine has 138,000 miles and I know the front bearings haven't been repacked, but the rear ones were done at about 100,000.

Buy a Haynes manual they have a maintenance schedule in the front for what should be done at certain mileage intervals.

The brakes on a 2001 should last more then 60k. Mine is an 2001 also, with original brakes @ 51k and the brakes still have ~75% on them. I know it all depends on driving conditions and driver - but you should not have to replace them yet in my opinion.

~Jason

Guest joe19812

Thanks everyone for the inputs. My brakes were squeeking so I figured they neeed work. I towed a boat now & then during the last couple of summers so that might have added to needing replacement at 60K.

I went ahead and bit the bullet and took it in to the dealer since I figured the front hubs needed re-packing as well. Plus the service person said it's a good idea to turn the rotors even if I wasn't grinding metal on metal, resurfacing makes the replacement pads last longer. They open the rear drums and found that they were fine, just need the brake dust cleaned up.

most of tese posts are telling you that there is no preventative maintenance on brkes which is'nt true the rears if drum brakes should be cleaned and adjusted and the disc brakes should have the pad slides and caliper pins cleaned and lubed with out this you run the risk of prematurely wearing out you brakes, if the rears are out of adjustment you wear your front brakes faster and your e- brake wont work as well with. but the # 1 reason for preventative maintenance is that replacing a set of pads or shoes is alot cheaper than pads and rotors or shoes and drums because you let them go metal to metal.