Distributor installation

fukkeneh240

Hi everyone,

I searched, but can't find my exact answer.

For a 1997 Pathfinder.

I just replaced the valve/rocker cover gaskets and removed the distributor to do so. I then decided to do the timing and accessory belts, but did not put the distributor back in after the valve cover gasket replacement. I did the timing belt and put everything back in, but the distributor went in last. I cranked the engine but it now runs rough unless I adjust the distributor all the way to the left (towards the front of the vehicle). I am thinking I am off a tooth when installed the distributor.

So my question is, do I remove the distributor, put the engine at TDC, and reinsert the distributor making sure the brush/rotor is at spark plug No. 1?

If not, is there another way to align the distributor in the correct position?

Thanks.

Edited by fukkeneh240

There are actually marks on the shaft/gear you are supposed to line up (details in FSM). I think it is supposed to start out so that the rotor is pointing further to the right of the #1 position, because it rotates when you install it and the gears engage.

But you really need a timing light at this point... even once you install the distributor on the right tooth, you should rotate it to achieve 15 degrees BTDC (once it's warmed up).

There are actually marks on the shaft/gear you are supposed to line up (details in FSM). I think it is supposed to start out so that the rotor is pointing further to the right of the #1 position, because it rotates when you install it and the gears engage.

But you really need a timing light at this point... even once you install the distributor on the right tooth, you should rotate it to achieve 15 degrees BTDC (once it's warmed up).

I haven't had the time to work on the car today, but I remember for my 240SX, it stated some where in the FSM about it, but for the life of me I can not find it in the Pathfinder FSM. The only thing for the distributor is on EC-17.

Sorry to sound more complicated, but when you say to the right #1, you mean between plugs 1 and 6?

EDIT: haha.. 5 min after posting this, I found it in the FSM. EM-32.

Edited by fukkeneh240