Stock exhaust pipe diameter?

Igetstabby

Hey guys. Looks like it's time for a new exhaust, muffler is totally rotten and loud as all hell. I tried searching for a solid answer on what the diameter of the stock exhaust pipe is but couldn't find one. I'm thinking of ordering a dual in/out magnaflow (11378) with 2.25" in/outlets. I thought about 11385 as well but I've heard 2.5" in/outlets will be a little bit big and I'll lose low end power.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

P.S. - Getting some BFG A/T's and 15x8 Soft8's in the next few weeks too... I'm probably gonna have to go 30x9.5 though, no lift and I don't really want to cut up my front bumper/inner fender. 31 or 32" M/T's will come after I have enough cash to do a lift, then I'll use the BFG AT's for winter.

i have the flowmaster with dual 2.5 in/out. was quite a trick to get adapters to make them fit my stock piping. but it sounds freakin awesome. was the loudest truck at the jim run. i dont have any noticable loss of power, nor change in mileage. and the growl is awesome when going. can barely notice it when its just idling. i can take a video of it tomorrow and post it so you have an idea.. i also havent had the piping finished, so the muffler ends under the truck right now. the sound will change once i get it finished, but no shop will touch it right now for less than 500, which is bs.

silverpath changed his system out with a close to oem replacement. look for his build thread in the member's rides section.

let me know if you want to hear what mine sounds like.

and the stock exhaust diameter is stupid, 1 11/16" OD if i remember correctly, with is a PITA to match. it took 4 stores to get all the adapters to fit the flowmaster to the stock piping. if i had bought the 2.25 version it would have been easier. i also shopped around for my muffler. i found what i wanted on the flowmaster site, then googled the part number and found one online somewhere else new for half the price with free shipping.

let me know if you want to hear what mine sounds like.

I would love to hear it. I am debating which flowmaster to go with for my exhaust install in the next couple of weeks. I have pretty much decided on the dual 2.5in/single 3.0 out 50 SUV series because it is(supposedly) aggressive under acceleration, deep and mid-volume at idle and wont drone while cruising. I havn't heard many flowmasters on pathys with the 3.5, so any additional input is valuable.

ok so i will get video of mine once this blizzard passes, right now its about 25ft visibility.

i bought a flowmaster super 40 for a couple reasons, its a smaller unit than the super 50, has less crackling, and was cheaper lol. it is dual in/out 2.5"

i chose flowmaster over magnaflow because magnafow uses fiberglass packs, which wear out over time, and if you have an oil burning rig like mine, they wear out fast. flowmater uses resonating chambers, all steel, no fiberglass, also making it lighter in weight.

and i have a 3.3, so the sound will be a little different, but not by a whole lot. here's 2 vids, one with the 3.5 with a super 40 like mine, and another with the 3.5 with the magnaflow you were looking at. they are both on a qx4 in this. my video will be higher quality than these. it seems like these guys can afford custom exhausts but only a cell phone for recording video.

ok so i will get video of mine once this blizzard passes, right now its about 25ft visibility.

i bought a flowmaster super 40 for a couple reasons, its a smaller unit than the super 50, has less crackling, and was cheaper lol. it is dual in/out 2.5"

i chose flowmaster over magnaflow because magnafow uses fiberglass packs, which wear out over time, and if you have an oil burning rig like mine, they wear out fast. flowmater uses resonating chambers, all steel, no fiberglass, also making it lighter in weight.

and i have a 3.3, so the sound will be a little different, but not by a whole lot. here's 2 vids, one with the 3.5 with a super 40 like mine, and another with the 3.5 with the magnaflow you were looking at. they are both on a qx4 in this. my video will be higher quality than these. it seems like these guys can afford custom exhausts but only a cell phone for recording video.

Blizzards suck, don't have to worry about those here down here in Cali. :)

Thanks for the vids.

I'm definitely going with a flowmaster, it is just a matter of which one: the super 50 series SUV dual in/single out (524553), the super 50 series SUV dual in/dual out (524554) or the super 40 series dual in/dual out (9525454). Right now, I am heavily leaning towards the 524553 (super 50 suv dual in/single out) for being the mostly likely to fit my sound requirements, my install budget and for less piping to worry about while off roading compared to a dual out set-up.

Edited by fusion

just do this, what ever you decide on, google the part number for your shopping. i bought mine half price new with free shipping. and it showed up within 3 days

Good advice. I'll definitely be shopping around.

I finally pulled the trigger on the magnaflow (11378) and it showed up yesterday. Hopefully I'll get it installed this week. I'll try and post a video after it's done. Got a pretty good deal on the muffler though I think.... $130 shipped from performanceparts.com, local shop wanted 225..

I finally pulled the trigger on the magnaflow (11378) and it showed up yesterday. Hopefully I'll get it installed this week. I'll try and post a video after it's done. Got a pretty good deal on the muffler though I think.... $130 shipped from performanceparts.com, local shop wanted 225..

I've more or less decided on a flowmaster, but I am more then a little interested in what yours sounds like and what is involved in the install... what kind of set-up are you going to use? Do you off-road very often?

i got them from orielly's, but napa i think carries them too. their just exhaust reducing adaptors. i think i paid 3 bucks each, and i had to get 4, 2 for each input since they didnt have one that went from our size straight to the 2.5 size.

here's an example of what they look like. you may have to do some tinkering around until you find ones that fit. like i said up in another post, it took a few stores to get all of them since nobody had enough of the same one at just one store.

9172530_L.jpg

Alright, just picked up my truck after work and made a short clip just now. It sounds pretty good, though not so much on this phone recording. Basically just as quiet as stock on the highway it seemed, just a bit of a different tone. Nice growl to it, but not obnoxious at all in the cabin. I'll post more pics/vid another day, it's getting dark at the moment.

Yeah I'll put some up on Friday, I'm on holidays after tomorrow... Would have taken some today but I couldn't find my actual camera and this video was about 20 minutes before sundown. I think I made the right choice with this muffler as far as noise levels... I've heard that the flowmasters can sound very ricey on a pathfinder. The guy at the exhaust shop was even impressed after he fired it up, he was sure it was going to be loud and obnoxious sounding.

Only downfall is now I have no spare under there... Maybe I'll have more ambition to get a rear tire carrier bumper welded up this spring. For now I'm just going to start carrying a can of tire sealant and enjoy the extra gas milage from less weight to haul around. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Flowmaster (524553, dual 2.25 in, single 3.0 out) muffler for Christmas. I am having a custom cat-back made and installed on Friday (the 7th). The plan is to replace everything from the catalytic converter flanges back in stainless steel. 2.25" custom stainless pipes from the cats to the muffler and then 3" stainless to the rear bumper with a turndown. There won't be anything hanging lower then the bumper or sticking out anywhere. I am hoping the noise level is semi-aggressive on acceleration, quiet while cruising and deep at idle, without any rice or fart sounds. Once I have it installed, I will make a thread including pics and video. Can't wait!

i strongly press staying away from the 3 inch piping. you will get alot of crackling, and loss in back pressure, taking away from your acceleration and fuel economy. it will make the ricer sound louder. stick to 2.25 all the way out.

i strongly press staying away from the 3 inch piping. you will get alot of crackling, and loss in back pressure, taking away from your acceleration and fuel economy. it will make the ricer sound louder. stick to 2.25 all the way out.

I'm inclined to agree on the 3" piping, but can't know for sure... BTW I'll try and post some pics of my setup tomorrow, still very pleased with it... haven't had a lot of time to do it and I was sick as a dog all last week.

:offtopic: I also ordered manual hubs (Cheaped out on Mile Markers, but whatever... Warns were double the price) and wind/rain guards off ebay last night. Next is 31" Goodyear Wrangler territories, Probably Soft 8's, timing belt (Don't know if it's ever been done and I'm at 159k :suicide: ) and whatever the hell is starting to clunk/rattle in my front end.. My wallet hurts...

Wrong. Optimum pipe diameter for a SOHC VG30 is 2.75 with 2" primaries (manifolds or headers). Back pressure is never good for any engine, the less there is the better. Keep in mind that VG510s and Z31s run 3" or larger exhaust systems. Same engine that's in a Pathfinder...

Wrong. Optimum pipe diameter for a SOHC VG30 is 2.75 with 2" primaries (manifolds or headers). Back pressure is never good for any engine, the less there is the better. Keep in mind that VG510s and Z31s run 3" or larger exhaust systems. Same engine that's in a Pathfinder...

This was my line of thinking as well. I consulted several high-end, custom exhaust shops and they all concurred that the 3.5 would thrive on the set-up I came up with. Back pressure is mostly created before/at the muffler anyway. In my case, it will be from the primaries back to the cats and a bit at the muffler. As for the sound, I don't really know what to expect, which is why I went the 50 series SUV (classified as a "moderate" sound) route instead of one of the "aggressive" ones. I don't think a single 3" would sound any more ricey then a dual 2.25 set-up, of which I have heard a few on the 3.5 that were a little too cracklypoppy/ricey for me. We shall see on Friday. :)

then explain the crackling and loss of power and 3 mpg drop i had when i ran straight pipe.