engine oil starvation on long descents

Cuong Nguyen

Is oil starvation present during long descents? All truck models (2wd trucks being and exception) use a low hanging sump as compared to it's 2wd car models. What's the reasoning behind this as opposed to using the 2wd oil pan?

DSCN3986.jpg

DSCN3985.jpg

DSCN3984.jpg

I wouldnt say on all trucks its a problem but yes, oil starvation is a issue with the majority of 4x4s out there.

Also, most 4x4s have larger oil pans then there 2 wheel drive brothers, mainly for added cooling capacity, since oil will thin out and boil.

Other then that, its a 4x4, maybe the engineers thought it would wise to add a deeper sump in case of extreme decents, which is a good thing since the bearings in vg engines are aluminum.

Oil starvation is a huge problem with VGs, especially in Z31s and track cars. The oil sloshes to one side, the sump picks up air bubbles and circulates that around the bearings, and kills them almost instantly.

Also. If under hard braking, corners, or steep inclines/declines your oil light flickers/pressure gauge dips drastically you've just done serious damage to the engine.

Edited by Kingman

I have not thrown the pathy hard enought to see the oil light.

On the other hand I'm not looking at the light when I throw the pathy lol.

but is there really any sarvation concern with pathfinders?

should 510 be making trap door pans for those who like to be reckless with pathfinders (jumps, drifts, hard cornering(or as hard as pathy can lol)...)

Edited by MY1PATH

I have not thrown the pathy hard enought to see the oil light.

On the other hand I'm not looking at the light when I throw the pathy lol.

but is there really any sarvation concern with pathfinders?

should 510 be making trap door pans for those who like to be reckless with pathfinders (jumps, drifts, hard cornering(or as hard as pathy can lol)...)

I'm not sure how high of a risk it is on a Pathfinder specifically but if any VG is starved it's pretty much done for. I can't really imagine a Pathfinder being capable of extreme acceleration or braking and cornering G forces. It would be interesting to see what really has to be done to starve the engine...

Mr. 510 drifts his Pathfinder in the snow and wheels it hard at some pretty interesting angles. I don't think he'd be doing that if there was a big chance of problems. :shrug: