Pops out of 4th

sewebster

Tried to search, didn't find anything. I assume this is a basic standard transmission question, but I am new to standards...

So my truck pops out of 4th gear... I think it only happens when I'm off the gas. Two things I can think of that would cause this would be broken "dog tooth", or possibly some kind of problem with a detent in the lever mechanism...

I sorta guessing that eventually I'll just replace the transmission (or rebuild it if I decide I want to educate myself), but if there's some easy fix I can do through the floor then I would try that.

Make sure the linkage (under the transmission tunnel) is tight and adjusted properly. Otherwise it sounds like you have a bad syncro ring(sometimes referred to as a 'dog ring'). Or 4th gear is worn out. If the dog rings are worn out, the tranny will somtimes jump out of gear when it's not under load. (off the throttle).

my freinds pathfinder would do this....when u pressed on the gas the whole shifter would lurch forward like a inch then when u let off it would lurch back and it would pop out of gear...were were pretty sure he has a bad mount and also a bad syncro

The only linkage on our 5-speed trannies is to the transfer case. The normal "stick" is only held in with a snap ring. Lots of 5-speed owners pull the stick and pour gear oil in the hole to refill the tranny with the correct amount of fluid.(gl-4 ONLY)