Hummmming?

Mauitrailguy

So heres the low down....about 3 months ago I swamped my Pathy to the point the ECU was underwater and when I got it running the clutch was rusted to the flywheel from sitting....

So I fixed all that...

Recently(about a month ago) A humming noise started in the rear end. I changed the gear oil thinking maybe it was emulsified, but not the case... think its coming from the tire. Any one have any ideas. I was just gonna pull the wheels and check the bearings.

Humming humming like Mmmmmmm or like a slight squeel like noise.My vote is bearings but your rear end could just be making noise.Which isnt a big deal,when it goes it goes,a little noise isnt anything major,it could go another 100,000 miles like that.

*waits for hate mail about my rear end comment*

The noise is only there when Im accelerating... not cruising or downshifting. It was suggested to me that it may be my driveshaft...or u joints...heres a pic of the axle i pulled it apart to take a look didnt seem abnormal.

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

I'm acutally going through the same problem on a f150 at the moment,I got a bad axle seal on the passager side but I keep the fluid full. I do believe it is just the rear end making noise since the u-joints on it are fine.Does the same as your,whins when your on the gas,but mine is only at shertin(?) rpms.I would also loose at the exhaust,a hanger could have broken and the increased exhaust flow could be causing it to viberate.

(edit reason,I spell like a 12 year old)

Edited by nismothunder

The noise is only there when Im accelerating... not cruising or downshifting. It was suggested to me that it may be my driveshaft...or u joints...heres a pic of the axle i pulled it apart to take a look didnt seem abnormal.

Well if I'm not mistaken, that rules out the bearings, atleast in my experience with bearing noise it does...

Im not exactly sure whats going on. No noise at slow speeds either. I just changed the rear diff. fluid not to long ago and that didn't help the noise like I thought it would. Does anyone think that the shield around the trans output to driveshaft could be rubbing...It came off in the process of doing the clutch job???? Just a thought. Im gonna squash this topic soon if I can't figure it out. Its not causing performance problems so I guess nothing to worry bout till it goes.

Also Im not leaking any fluids anywhere(supprisingly)

Mine,its an auto made a noise like a spring does when its gets coiled really tight or bounced,not really a twang but more of a shreck,shreck,shreck as it was moving.My fix was putting a muffler clamp on it and it went away.It would come and go.Mine got bent and knocked off when I had a pipe wedge between the floor board and road at 40mph.