4.3 LSD

rgallant

Hi guys,

Did a search and did not find an answer. Anyone have or know what model of R50 (pre 99.5) would have 4.3 gears and an LSD. The local dealership parts guy gave me a blank look, nothing new there. I would like to pop an LSD in my R50, but need a 4.3.

Currently a locker is well out of my budget.

Someone correct me here if im wrong.

The spline counts are diffeant between wd21 & r50 axle shafts(31 vs 33). That being said, the splined side gears inside the LSD do interchange.

So if you find a 4.3 LSD for a wd21 you can stick the side gears from any r50 LSD in there and be good to go.

Edited by MY1PATH

Steevo from Rugged Rocks is working on a "Reasonably priced" locker for the 33 splined rear end. But I believe he's only doing it for the one with the LSD carrier. My '98 LE had 4.3 LSD.

Are you sure? I thought the SE came with 4.636 gearing.

My 01 auto has 4.3's and an lsd, infact any 4wd truck with 4.3's and a lsd should swap in just fine. Shouldnt matter what year it is, all the same axle as far as I know. Someone correct me here if im wrong.

Same with my 03, it had 4.3 with LSD but now it has 4.6 with open diff. Hope to get a locker soon, hate not having my LSD but I needed the 4.6 gears for the tires I am running. I couldn't find any 4.6 gears here that had the LSD.

• 2 weeks later...

LSD arrived today, many thanks Fleurys although you could have tossed that ARB unit in the box instead :)

As soon as the new kitchen is in the diff goes in.

hahahaha yeah you wished ! hey it's a start, you have the box...! :laugh:

Good to hear it arrived to you... post picture of your mod when you do it.

S.

Edited by fleurys