spare tire carrier with cargo basket

ANDY

hey guys i went to go look at this custom hitch basket yesterday but it didnt fit because my spare tire and i really like the way it was made strong and sturdy i was thinking of getting it and cutting the hitch part off and trying to get one of my buddys or a fabricator to make it work on my spare tire carrier but i was wondering if anyone has done it before or seen it and if there was pictures that someone could post up for me or point me in the right direction that would be great

make sure your tire carier bushings are fresly replaced and well greased at all times. ppl have got the machine gun rattle from just weight of a stock tire so I'm sure a basket would wear it faster.

I use a hitch basket too. I'm thinking of making an extension for it because I cant put my ice chest on it with the tire in the way. Once I get it sticking out that far I might as well just pull my small trailer though.

James

i been looking at stuff online and i cant decide if i want to get a hitch basket or go to a JY to find some roof rack railings i was also thinking of putting some thule/yakima racks in my front doors and getting a small basket but i thought that might look funny but i also thought about getting one of these http://olympic4x4products.com/utility-racks/904-amp-905-sierra-racks , i know its for a jeep but i think i can make somethingwork for my lug pattern like a plate welded to a hitch reciever ...IDK yet....i really only want a rack for some fire wood, gas, and BBq pit the small rectangle one i might get off work early and go look at some junk yards see what i can find , any more input would be much appreciated

• 6 months later...

cute idea if you got a roof mount or internal mount spare, maby a little better if there was a little more closure to the sides as well personally