WD21 Tranny in a Terrano?

drush

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has put a north american wd21 pathfinder transmission into a JDM terrano (early 90's). In this case it would be an automatic into my buddies truck and am wondering if I will have to switch the bellhousing or anything else like that to make it work. That is, if it will work.

JDM/NA doesn't make any differences, they all used the same parts. If the tranny was behind a VG motor, and the Terrano has a VG motor it will be direct swap. If the Terrano had a TD, then a tranny from behind a VG will not work. I.E., you gotta match the engine with the tranny type.

This rig has a TD27T (2.7 Turbo Diesel), we are going to hit the junkyards and take some photos to see if the transmissions at least look identical.

Teixeira - the terrano currently has an auto, although we are considering a manual conversion - just a bit more work.

• 2 months later...

At the end of the month we are going to try and get er rigged up. Pics to come if we are successful, hopefully we can find a compatible tranny and such.

Just get the tranny number from the FSM and match it. The V6 uses an RE4R01A (that's the same as the KA24DE 240sx). The I4 uses the RL4R01A.

I've really been wondering about the Diesel Terrano's transmissions. Particularly the R51 turbos.

If you're gonna go crazy, find one of these and forget about gasoline.

The RE4R01A transmission is the same no matter what rig it was in. That includes the pathfinder, terrano, skyline gts-t, 300zx, etc etc etc. The only difference was the bellhousing, which unbolts in a matter of minutes. As long as it is an RE4R01A transmission, and you have the right bellhousing there will be no problems.