Hello

Islandpath

Congrats on the 'new' pathy and welcome to NPORA!!

Are you familiar with the timing belt maintenance/automatic tranny cooling needs of this model??

B

No, can you tell me what do I need to know. I took it to the shop and ask them to change my tranny fluid and they said not to. they said it has to much miles on it at 191k.

They said not to change it?? :scratchhead:

Well, step one, is check to see what it looks/feels/smells like. Clean is pink/slipery/sweet and dirty is dark/gritty/oily or foul. The main point is that the stock radiator coolers are prone to clogging and if this happens, it can overheat the tranny. Most of us completely bypass the stock cooler and install an aftermarket unit. I will provide you with a link to it when I get home (soon).

The timing belt is 60,000 mile change interval for your vehicle IIRC and being an interference motor, if it breaks, you generally take out the top end. That said, when was the last time it was changed?? Do you have any records or can you ask the PO?? I'll find you more info on this also in a bit.

Not trying to scare you but these are some of the main reasons that these trucks are scrapped.

Auto Tranny failure

Timing Belt failure

Accident

Rust

Max Stryker

With 190k and a little bit of maintenance, you should be able to get another 100k without too much trouble if it was not abused.

B

Not trying to scare you but these are some of the main reasons that these trucks are scrapped.

Auto Tranny failure

Timing Belt failure

Accident

Rust

Max Stryker

B

:chairfall: not necessarily in that order!

not suprised honestly that they said not to, alot of places will suggest no tdoein it to a vechile they don't know any history too for fear of the old Ford syndrome of pull in with a slipping trans, change the fluid and push it out with park and a bunch of neutrals. With that said, we ain't talkin about a Fairmont...

Welcome to the cluster!

They said not to change it?? :scratchhead:

Well, step one, is check to see what it looks/feels/smells like. Clean is pink/slipery/sweet and dirty is dark/gritty/oily or foul. The main point is that the stock radiator coolers are prone to clogging and if this happens, it can overheat the tranny. Most of us completely bypass the stock cooler and install an aftermarket unit. I will provide you with a link to it when I get home (soon).

The timing belt is 60,000 mile change interval for your vehicle IIRC and being an interference motor, if it breaks, you generally take out the top end. That said, when was the last time it was changed?? Do you have any records or can you ask the PO?? I'll find you more info on this also in a bit.

Auto Tranny failure

Timing Belt failure

Accident

Rust

Max Stryker

With 190k and a little bit of maintenance, you should be able to get another 100k without too much trouble if it was not abused.

B

Thanks for your help!!They change the timing belt recently. I also check the tranny fluid and it was pink and dirty. I am not really mechanically inclined. Edited by Islandpath

:chairfall: not necessarily in that order!

not suprised honestly that they said not to, alot of places will suggest no tdoein it to a vechile they don't know any history too for fear of the old Ford syndrome of pull in with a slipping trans, change the fluid and push it out with park and a bunch of neutrals. With that said, we ain't talkin about a Fairmont...

Welcome to the cluster!

Thanks man!! I know you said to change the fluid. But what do you mean by push it out with park and a bunch of neutrals? Like I said to Precise1 I am not really mechanically inclined.

Inside joke, older fords if you would change the fluid in an automatic thats long overdue for a change, the fresh fluid would basicly wipe all the drive gears out making all the drive gears basicly neutrals and have to push the car out of the work bay. Towed many a ford for that reason...

Inside joke, older fords if you would change the fluid in an automatic thats long overdue for a change, the fresh fluid would basicly wipe all the drive gears out making all the drive gears basicly neutrals and have to push the car out of the work bay. Towed many a ford for that reason...

Okay, Thanks man!

nice! know exactly where that is...good friend of mine lives down something farm road i think, behind that old folks home thats kinda across from wegmans and the transmission shop thats been there forever