leaking oil after oil change 95 3L v6

Eviltwin

With 170k on that motor, you should have another 100k of life easily.

That oil is too thin and has too much detergent for your older motor. Try running dino 10-40 and see if that doesn't lessen the leaks.

Seals are cheap and easy to replace, getting to them can be a pain, especially the rear, but if you are pulling the motor to replace it, there is less work to just replace the seals in the existing one. I'd go with the heavier oil first and see what happens.

B

Makes sense. I'll try 10W-40 at next oil change. If that doesn't help I'll try the Lucas additive.

Maybe a little OT but, I was sitting in the bank parking lot today (payday !!!) talking to my Dad on the phone and I noticed that I could rev the engine up to around 2500 rpm without any of what I had thought was valve or lifter "ticking". When the vehicle is in gear and I'm on the gas it makes the noise continuously. Foot off gas - no noise. Didn't make sense to me because I figure if it was valve-train noise it should be there all the time.

I took a look around and it looks like I have a missing nut on one of the exhaust manifold studs on the right side(doesn't look like the stud is broken cuz I can see enough threads to place a nut)so now I'm thinking this is the infamous exhaust "ticking" made worse by the cold weather. I'm kinda reluctant to put a nut on the exhaust manifold stud and tighten it in case it breaks (looks pretty dang rusted). I figure a good time to do this would be if/when I pull the motor to do the RMS. (Otherwise known as Summer :tongue:)

The other problem is that I smell gas in the exhaust all the time and this made more sense to me with a stuck valve. BTW, I recently had a fuel injector replaced and replaced some nasty looking plugs at the same time.

The engine runs great. Starts every time, idles nicely right around 1000-1200, no blue smoke out the exhaust. No significant oil loss other than the seals I mentioned.

The only other possibility that makes sense to me is that there is pre-detonation or "pinging" but it sounds way too low pitched to me to be pinging but that might explain the sweet gas smell from the exhaust. Gas mileage on the highway is not too bad though. But city mileage sucks right now.

IDK, I had a few instances of CEL right after the injector replacement which I thought was just the system clearing itself. But I think I need to check codes here.

Sorry for the rambling post, don't mean to jack the thread. It just sort of all ties together for me now. Please move it if you'd rather have it elsewhere.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Yeah that stud missing will definitely cause a tick. My gas mileage sucks not too because it's winter. They changeover to the "winter gas". If you smell gas in the exhaust maybe you're running rich, like a bad o2 sensor or something.