How To: Rear Shocks

m0nkeyprince

OKay so these last few months, i have been driving another car (a 2007 lexus GS350) as my qx has been sitting in one spot due to cv axle change, broken air duct, cleaning the spark plug holes. So after i drove the Qx4 today, wow, extreme body roll :wiggle: and poor acceleration, and omg, the frkn windows that take forever to open and close (im gonna fix that soon with some silicone spray), The drive to morgan hill was pretty harsh, so while im there, and with access to a garage, i decided to replace the shocks.

Difficulty rating: 1/5,very easy, the only hard part is to compress the new shocks so it will fit over the mounting bracket, other then that it was smooth sailing. Funny, it was the first time i didnt run into anything that would extend the project to a couple days.

I know this shock install applies to 97-98 pathfinders/qx4's not sure about any others

Things needed:

Jack (i used the emergency bottle jack)

Scissor jack (would make life much easier)

Jack stands

17, 19, 22 mm sockets

screwdriver

Wd-40 or equivalent

Your New shocks

paper towels

an hour of your day

Prep:

1. jack up the rear of the frame, using tire chocks up front (the front brakes arnt engaged) remove spare (i never have my spare on anyways, too heavy)

2. you might want to wear safety glasses as there are a bunch of lodged dirt and debris that falls down, i had to rinse my eyes out like 3 times B)

3. spray penetrating fluid on the nuts, spray both sides on the bottom bolts n nuts, and just the nut on the top and wait a bit, 5-10 mins

IMAG0055.jpg

Removal:

1. Using a 17mm socket for the outer nut and a 19mm for the inner bolt, loosen and remove the bottom bolt and nut, it might take a bit of strength, but it will come out.

IMAG0064.jpg

2. then, using a 22mm socket for the top nut, remove that too, i kept the tire on, but it might be easier to take the tires off. Make sure you dont lose the washer that goes between the eyelet and the nut.

IMAG0057.jpg

3. after you loosen the top, compress the shock from the bottom and take the bottom eyelet off the bottom mounting bracket. My shocks are 90k old, they compressed without any strength at all. To remove the top part, you have to unscrew 1 screw off inside the fender, that way it can be pulled back, and the top shock eyelet can be taken out.

IMAG0059.jpg

3. remove the shock, then clean the mounting brackets, bolts and nuts. my old shocks were soo bad, that they dont even decompress LOL

IMAG0060.jpg

Install:

1. For the install, you want to install the top part first, take your new shock (this case my kyb gas-a-just with polyurethane boots) and while pulling plastic, push the top eyelet through the bolt. I know some people install these shocks upside down (i guess rancho does it that way?) but DO NOT do that, if you do, there will be a "cup" for water to sit which will seriously kill your shocks pretty fast.

2. Do not tighten the top bolt yet or even put the washer and nuts on, with the shock hanging straight down, you need to compress the shock so it will fit the lower mounting bracket. These new shocks were really hard to compress, so i got a scissor jack off the lexus and pushed it up like so...

IMAG0065.jpg

3. you just need it to be about as high as the lower mounting bracket. This is the tricky part, quickly push the bottom shock eyelet towards the lower mounting bracket and it should decompress perfectly into the bracket.The point is to use the time it takes to decompress to put the eyelet over the bracket.

IMAG0066.jpg

4. now that the shock is pretty much mounted, put on all bolts washers, and nuts, the lower bolt might be a little tricky to put on, you can use the scissor jack to move it around a little but i just used my arm with my elbow against the ground. I put a little loctite blue,a habit. tighten the nuts a little, do NOT torque them to spec until you are done with both sides and the jacks are off. I dont know the torque specs yet so i just tightened them really hard. edit= FSM says the top nut is 59-78 Ft LBS and the bottome bolt n nut is 67-88 Ft LBs

Install on the other side and voila

IMAG0067.jpg

The test drive. wow. there was an IMMENSE reduction in body roll, i couldnt find any speed bumps but i went pretty fast around the corners and it was really nice, not knife point precision, but it was way better then before. Once my jackson missing link comes in, :D anyways, after the test drive and you are happy with everything, retighten everything, clean up, and relax!

Seriously, if you never replaced your stock shocks before DO it, its not only safer, it makes it a bit more fun to drive!

Observation, did you know our stock shocks are also KYB?

IMAG0068.jpg

And i cant believe they cost so much at the dealers, well , what DOSNT cost a fortune at the dealers

Edited by m0nkeyprince

do i have my shocks upside down? it makes sense though does it? the outer bigger part is on the top, if it was on the bottom, there would be a "cup" for water to stay. I dont know about ranchos though,i actually think they are supposed to be mounted upside down, but for people with regular shocks like kyb, i think the "cup" faces down so water and dirt wont collect.

Edited by m0nkeyprince

but the stock shocks were like that too? just without the boot, i looked it up, and yea, only ranchos are like, and i dont have rancho shocks lol

No they weren't. The rod is covered by the metal sleeve that slides over the lower portion when under compression.

do i have my shocks upside down? it makes sense though does it? the outer bigger part is on the top, if it was on the bottom, there would be a "cup" for water to stay. I dont know about ranchos though,i actually think they are supposed to be mounted upside down, but for people with regular shocks like kyb, i think the "cup" faces down so water and dirt wont collect.

They will collect water/mud no matter what way they are, but does it make any difference? really.

I ripped my boots off as mud was starting to rust them up.