anyone ever take window motor apart to clean it?

ahardb0dy

Today on my 94 PF, my buddy rolled the pass. side window down than it wouldn't roll back up at all, would only go down more not up. We got back to my house and I checked the pass. side switch and still wouldn't go up, removed the door panel and tried running 12 volts directly to the window motor and got nothing, window was now fully down and had to figure out a way to get the glass back up. Ended up unbolting the motor and regulator so I could lift the regulator up enough to unscrew the glass from it. than used wooden wedges to hold the glass fully closed. Removed the motor and regulator unit and took it into my work shop, hooked it up to my power supply and still would not work either direction. Took the motor cover off wiped the inside magnets with a rag and put it back together and it is working. Going to take it back apart to clean the shaft where the brushes sit Saturday. Anyone have any experience cleaning these motors??

Should be just like any other 12V motor. Make sure your shaft bushings aren't worn and well greased. Brushes aren't worn to nothing and still have good spring tension on them. While you have it apart check continuity on the armature, for shorting the the center shaft and between the segments.

When I read the title to this post and who had posted it, the first thought that popped into my head was "no but I bet you already did!"

James

I've done several from chrysler but never my nissan. Same thing applies... open, blow the crap out, make sure the bearings are lubed, brush out the commutator, endure good brush contact, reassemble

took the motor apart the other night and pulled the shaft out, sprayed the copper down with tuner cleaner ( all I had) and brushed the copper with a wire brush than wiped clean, also cleaned the brushes, so far it is working every time. Putting the regulator/motor back into the PF tomorrow.

took the motor apart the other night and pulled the shaft out, sprayed the copper down with tuner cleaner ( all I had) and brushed the copper with a wire brush than wiped clean, also cleaned the brushes, so far it is working every time. Putting the regulator/motor back into the PF tomorrow.

Let us know how it works when you put it back together. My passenger window works but runs slow till it's half way up. It's really slow when its cold. I hosed the tracks down with silicon spray but it didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe I need to clean my motor out too.

James

Had some problems yesterday when I went to install the regulator/electric motor assembly, I connected the motor and went to try it and it didn't do anything! It worked fine connected to my power supply so I knew the motor was working fine. After some troubleshooting I determined when pressing down on the window switch the plug for the electric motor had power but when pressing up there was no power going to the plug. Than I checked the output at the switch to see if there was a problem in the wiring between the switch and the motor plug but had no power there either. I had to take out the drivers side switch which also had no power coming out for the pass. front window switch. Took the switch apart and cleaned it and all of a sudden it started working. That was it for last night as it was getting dark (had spent a few hours replacing a front wheel stud on my buddies Honduh Element , now I know why I only like working on Nissan's !!!)

Today, mounted the regulator assembly and re-ran the door harness ( I had removed it thinking I had a problem some where in the wiring), connected all the plugs and the window still didn't work than I realized why, I had the drivers switch apart still and the pass. window lock switch did not have contact between the 2 pins as the switch was apart, connected the 2 pins temporarily with a screwdriver and the pass window now worked, except for one small problem, for some reason both the drivers and pass switch are working backwards !!! Pressing up lowers the window and down raises it.

Which leads to this question, when I took the motor apart could putting the motor cover back on backwards cause the motor to run backwards? I don't know if I want to pull the regulator back out to try changing the motor cover over I may just cut the 2 wires going to the motor and reverse them, but at least it is working again for now. Think a new drivers side window switch would help with any future problems but at $96 from rockauto it may be a while before I can get one.

as for your window going up slow, since I replaced the rubber on the windows from used one's out of a pickup my drivers window goes up about half way fine than seems to really slow down, if I pull the glass slightly forward it will continue to go up fast, I already tried lubing the weatherstripping but it doesn't last. When it is raining out the glass goes up fine.

Edited by ahardb0dy

took the regulator assembly back out today and took the cover off the motor and reversed it, now window moves the way it is supposed to. I have to press hard on the up position of the switch to get the window to go up but I have an extra switch in storage I'm going to swap out to see if it is better, but so far all is good.

Mine have always been slow, but after I replaced the rubber channels with some JY ones from a HB they stall really bad about half way up even after silicone lube. There's a channel in the hinge side of the door that the rubber slides into and I think you might be able to adjust it a bit for smoother operation. I haven't yet but when I do I'll post up and let y'all know if it helped.

Both rubbers on mine came from the same hardbody at the junkyard and the pass. side goes up fine, the drivers side goes up as you are saying, I tried adjusting the glass where it bolts to the regulator one time but it didn't help. I think the plastic guides that the window slides up and down on the regulator may just be worn out. Next time at the JY I will check out any I see to see if they have less play then the one's I have.

• 3 weeks later...

if you can hear it clicking most likely it is a gear related problem, my motor didn't do anything at all.

Pathfinder uses a square drive that mates with the regulator but could be internal gearing problem see link below:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1059023

• 3 weeks later...

I figured out why my window would not roll down. The sliding bracket that the glass attaches to went too far past the guide and got hung up on it. repeated attempts to roll the window down wore down the teeth on the plastic gear. I just repositioned the gear 180* so I have some usability of the window with some manual assistance rolling it up and down. Here are the pictures I took. If you window controls operate backwards, you installed the housing for the motor backwards which reverses the polarity.

th_IMG_2275.jpgth_IMG_3547.jpgth_IMG_8163.jpgth_IMG_0461.jpgth_IMG_0574.jpgth_IMG_2822.jpg

Edited by Cuong Nguyen