Annoying Squeak from both front wheels

01silvapathy

Okay so ever since I did my sfd and this cold wet weather has set in I have started to notice a VERY annoying squeak coming from both front wheels. On the passenger side its only when a tire goes over a bump that it squeaks, but the drivers side is terrible and squeaks with pretty much any little bump or anything in the road. I was driving this morning and noticed it probably cause I didnt have any music playing for the first time in awhile. I got out and shook the truck back and forth and side to side and could not replicate the sound, so I dont really think its the coils making the noise. I have read up online about how ball joints can become bad quickly and start to squeak, esp after a suspension change like a lift kit... To be honest I do not really know when the last time they were changed was. If it was on the reccommended service plan from Nissan then it was done, but if not chance are they are original with 101k on them :handlebars: Should I just bite the bullet here and replace them, how often should they have even been changed? Could the squeak be coming from somewhere else? Thanks all for the help!

Okay so ever since I did my sfd and this cold wet weather has set in I have started to notice a VERY annoying squeak coming from both front wheels. On the passenger side its only when a tire goes over a bump that it squeaks, but the drivers side is terrible and squeaks with pretty much any little bump or anything in the road. I was driving this morning and noticed it probably cause I didnt have any music playing for the first time in awhile. I got out and shook the truck back and forth and side to side and could not replicate the sound, so I dont really think its the coils making the noise. I have read up online about how ball joints can become bad quickly and start to squeak, esp after a suspension change like a lift kit... To be honest I do not really know when the last time they were changed was. If it was on the reccommended service plan from Nissan then it was done, but if not chance are they are original with 101k on them :handlebars: Should I just bite the bullet here and replace them, how often should they have even been changed? Could the squeak be coming from somewhere else? Thanks all for the help!

put it on jack stands and watch while ya wiggle..lol..if they ae suspect..and your gunna WHEEL THAT MONSTER then go for "greasable" lifetime warrany ones...im pretty sure that they are available.

Mine came with locking nylon nuts instead of castle stud/cotterpin! Had to clamp BJ to LCA to Torque it properly!!! PITA

Tye

UNless there is absolutely no more grease in your balljoints, I doubt a metal against metal part can do that kind of noise....The first thing that came to mind reading the description was the strut bearing... which is made of plastic... this could definitely make that kind of noise....

Hmm, I guess I will just have to do a bit more investigation with a jack to see if there is wheel movement and such. I will also look into strut bearings. Is there any easy way to test and see if thats the problem?

Hey, my rig has been making a new noise since installing the SFD. It sounds like a "rattle" from the front end when I go over bumps. No squeaks, but wanted to compare/commiserate with ya...

I'm gonna jack it up this weekend and look at the ball joints and sway bar. I've looked at the struts also and I think I may have a strut bearing going on my driver's side (it "pops" when I crank the wheel in a parking lot).

Again, just thought I'd pipe up since we are in similar shape right now...

Hey, my rig has been making a new noise since installing the SFD. It sounds like a "rattle" from the front end when I go over bumps. No squeaks, but wanted to compare/commiserate with ya...

I'm gonna jack it up this weekend and look at the ball joints and sway bar. I've looked at the struts also and I think I may have a strut bearing going on my driver's side (it "pops" when I crank the wheel in a parking lot).

Again, just thought I'd pipe up since we are in similar shape right now...

Dude! I get the same pop from time to time, like when im stopped crank the wheel to turn and then gas it like turning from a center lane into a parking lot. I am doing my rear lift this weekend hopefully and hope to get the front alignment dialed in as well as take a gander at the ball joints. Adam, I will attempt to take a video of driving and see if the noise shows up, but I doubt it will. It also seems as if the sound is alot worse when only I am in the truck. I was driving around with 3 buddies today and the noise was almost non existant for some odd reason? Little things like this really bug and get to me.

Jacked up the front and started pulling/prying everything to see if anything was loose. Sway bar/bushings/links looked to be in good shape. Ball joints looked good.

Then I started looking at the struts. I noticed that the struts didn't appear to be uniformly seated to the strut spacer. I actually decided to loosen them from the spacers and let them drop a just a little. Then I painstakingly tightend each nut one-turn at a time. I cranked them all down and repeated on the other side. Probably sounds crazy, but the spacer and the strut look more uniformly seated than before.

I drove all over my neighborhood that's filled with recessed manhole covers. I aimed both driver/passenger tires at all that I could (about 15 in total) and found that my "rattle" had completely gone away and the steering wheel felt more secure when going over them. I have a weird feeling that the strut may not have been seated correctly and now I'm wondering if some nuts had worked loose over time because of this.

Sorry it doesn't help your squeak.

Oh wow man! So did you take the struts off the truck to loosen and then re tighten them down? We have pulled and installed my struts 6 times in this lift process and its a PITA :thumbsdown: May just deal with it, once I get new strut bearings I will try to work on lookin at those struts.