1994 4x4 Issue

strawhouse

Here is my first post!

Here is the question, I have had this 1994 Pathfinder SE ( automatic, 220,000km's ) for about a month now and I absolutely love it. I tried out the 4x4 when I first got it and everything worked fine... 4lo 4hi. I was out on a job site in a very muddy area and I put it in 4hi and noticed that it was still just spinning the back wheels and nothing up front. The light was on on the dash showing it was in 4x4 and when I shifted the 4x4 shifter it felt like it engaged. I tried everything and I couldnt get it to go into 4x4, at least get the front tires to move. I had only put on maybe 500km's since I last used the 4x4 and I had no service done to the vehicle in that time. I shifted as per the owners manual instructions and I could not get it to work.... Any ideas?????

take the auto hubs off and clean/ re-grease them?

were you in neutral or park?

On My 94 the light will come on but the gear wont fully engage untill I take stress of the driveline VIA Neutral or park.

Edited by MY1PATH

take the auto hubs off and clean/ re-grease them?

were you in neutral or park?

On My 94 the light will come on but the gear wont fully engage untill I take stress of the driveline VIA Neutral or park.

I have tried both in neutral and in park with no luck. Is it a straight forward clean re-grease on the hubs?

I have tried both in neutral and in park with no luck. Is it a straight forward clean re-grease on the hubs?

Yes, it is. Remove the 6 (8?) cap screws and it slides off. simply pay attention to the order and direction of the 6 or so internal components, clean them one by one, inspect for any damage or wear, lightly lube with grease and reinstall in the proper order. Reinstall the hex bolts and test.

Wait a minute. When you tried to put it into 4x4, did you engage the lever and roll forward 1 rotation of the tires to lock in the hubs, or were you 'stuck', engage the 4x4 shifter and not have the front hubs engage because you didn't move forward? With the auto locking hubs you generally need to engage them before you you need them.

B

Yes, it is. Remove the 6 (8?) cap screws and it slides off. simply pay attention to the order and direction of the 6 or so internal components, clean them one by one, inspect for any damage or wear, lightly lube with grease and reinstall in the proper order. Reinstall the hex bolts and test.

Wait a minute. When you tried to put it into 4x4, did you engage the lever and roll forward 1 rotation of the tires to lock in the hubs, or were you 'stuck', engage the 4x4 shifter and not have the front hubs engage because you didn't move forward? With the auto locking hubs you generally need to engage them before you you need them.

B

Thanks for the tip, It was the fact that I was stuck and not able to move forward to engage the auto locking hubs. I got stuck again and the same problem happened but once I got out I was able to go into 4x4 after I rolled forward a couple of feet. Thanks!!!