A few things

Der_Vier

Alrighty then, I think the time may be coming up at some point to replace my struts, as I measured and it seems like the front driver side sags 1/4" lower passenger side and I would like to have a stiffer ride. However, I don't think I want to lift (just yet). From what i've interpreted, all the links for r50 struts and everything are how to lift. I looked at 4x4parts.com and it seems liek the stuff they have are just lifted struts and all (not to mention $$$). If I get the oem spec replacements from say, autozone, will it be significantly stiffer? Or did I miss something in the links and everything dealing with where to get stiffer, factory height struts/shocks?

Would it be possible to put theseon and not have to mod anything? Like would factory spec rear shocks be able to safely handle the 1/2" lift?

Next thing: I notice that when I push on the accelorator there is a little bit of tail wag..is this the beginning of the death roll stuff? I did look at it seems like the fix for that is some bushings, but I looked on autozone and didn't see anything dealing with bushings for the rear under suspension stuff. Did the R50 change over to something else?

IV

Edited by R50FJ60

Alrighty then, I think the time may be coming up at some point to replace my struts, as I measured and it seems like the front driver side sags 1/4" lower passenger side and I would like to have a stiffer ride. However, I don't think I want to lift (just yet). From what i've interpreted, all the links for r50 struts and everything are how to lift. I looked at 4x4parts.com and it seems liek the stuff they have are just lifted struts and all (not to mention $$$). If I get the oem spec replacements from say, autozone, will it be significantly stiffer? Or did I miss something in the links and everything dealing with where to get stiffer, factory height struts/shocks?

Would it be possible to put theseon and not have to mod anything? Like would factory spec rear shocks be able to safely handle the 1/2" lift?

Next thing: I notice that when I push on the accelorator there is a little bit of tail wag..is this the beginning of the death roll stuff? I did look at it seems like the fix for that is some bushings, but I looked on autozone and didn't see anything dealing with bushings for the rear under suspension stuff. Did the R50 change over to something else?

IV

I would definitly get KYB Struts for your replacement, you can get them from a couple places online like ebay or other offroad stores like 4x4parts.com or old man emu parts, but I would not get them from autozone as they are probably going to charge you a arm and a leg with the markup like most auto parts stores do; just look around and price things out. As for your springs I would agian try either one of of those makers and you can get stock springs with a higher spring rate if you don't want to lift it. As for your rear shocks, if you are putting money into new springs and struts you should replace those also, the bushings for your 4link can be found on 4x4parts.com and are $40 a link I believe for poly bushings which are much stronger than the rubber ones our links come with and you wont find these bushings at a auto parts store they are a specialty or dealer item only. If you get the stock replacements from the dealer it will cost a smuch as the poly ones but wont las as long; also from what I have heard the poly ones are pretty easy to put in if you get the split bushings whereas the stock replacements from the dealer you have to get pressed in and will cost you more $ unless you or a friend of yours has a press. hope this helped you some....

Keep in mind that struts/shocks do not provide lift: coil springs do. Struts and shocks provide dampening ability only, and do not affect ride height. So like the previous poster said, for factory height you want to get stiffer but not higher springs. As far as struts/shocks, you can get anything that fits your car, and they're not necessarily sized by whether you have a lift. For instance, the KYB's I have on my car would be the same struts to use whether I'm at factory height or lifted. Also, you're not saving any money by not lifting your car because they're the same struts and shocks.

I would recommend that if you want a stiffer ride, you're going to have to replace the springs, and since you're doing that, you might as well get a quality set like the ones from Old Man Emu. You can get the ones that provide only a little bit of lift (like 1 inch), but it will be a stiffer ride than factory.

--Howie

you tail wag, i think i've developed the same thing. when i'm on the gas it pulls right, when i get off it goes left. thing is, i just replaced my lower control arm bushings a few months back, and had to replace the drivers arm cause it got bent. ever since i replaced the bent arm, i've had this issue. any insight?

hmm its had this problem since mid summer...cant remmeber past that. Who knows? Just as long as it doesnt do the death wobble thing and like flip me into a ditch or an 18 wheeler

When i sourced out my parts for the lift i found Kyb strut and shock pckgs for 185-200 bucks!! Dont know how good the rear shocks are (most people get different/longer ones) but, if your not going to lift it, could work for you. In Canada the Kybs are 119-189 EACH STRUT!!! plus the shocks. Just keep in mind that if lifted you should get a shock with longer travel too. The part #'s are available all over!! I even have some specs here for some more popular brands...length, etc!

I put on heavier quality parts/lift because i am wheeling and camping with my Pathy!

Im not an expert or a Mech, but ive gathered lots of info, mostly from this site, over the last year.

tye

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so to clearify- I can get essentially any strut/shock and still get springs that add maybe .5"-2" of lift and the struts/shocks will be able to safely extend to accomidate the extra distance?

Another question has arisen...would the factory roof racks off of a WD21 fit on my R50? I don't have any roof racks but in the gutter on the roof it looks like I have 3 tab like things on either side of the roof...could the WD21 racks easily fit on these?

IV

www.autopartsway.ca also carries the urethane link bushings from time to time. I just ordered their last inventoried set, with the next ones on the way in 2-3 weeks apparently.

Their part number is W0133-1620020 and they sell for $56.50 Canuck bucks.

Okay so to clearify- I can get essentially any strut/shock and still get springs that add maybe .5"-2" of lift and the struts/shocks will be able to safely extend to accomidate the extra distance?

Another question has arisen...would the factory roof racks off of a WD21 fit on my R50? I don't have any roof racks but in the gutter on the roof it looks like I have 3 tab like things on either side of the roof...could the WD21 racks easily fit on these?

IV

Well to clarify a bit...the front struts are ALL the same length bottom line. So new or existing struts can be used with a lift spring of .5-2". My .5 OME lift was more like 1.5-2". (my suspension was a little tired). According to my specs from the manufacturer the OME shocks that came with my lift..N61 is 23.9" ext. and 14.4" compressed. Now i beleive that is the same ext length as Original. (or real close)

Kyb gas adjust shocks are 23.7"-15.2"

Its not really a "LIFT" so much as suspension upgrade. You dont gain anymore suspension travel...just more clearance under truck and in wells for bigger tread!!!

Help any???

P.M. if you like!!!

Tye

www.autopartsway.ca also carries the urethane link bushings from time to time. I just ordered their last inventoried set, with the next ones on the way in 2-3 weeks apparently.

Their part number is W0133-1620020 and they sell for $56.50 Canuck bucks.

is that the rear four link bushings..i'm a little slow sometimes..LOL

Edited by Hawzzy

Groovy. What about the roof racks? Would the ones off the WD21 fit my R50? I haev the tab things in the gutter on my roof..would they just clamp on or what? May go to a junkyard nearby and see if they have any pathfniders