quick vg30e and vg33e difference for my z

edicer2

Just bought a z31 with a vg33e from a 98 pathfinder and it had the oil pan from a turbo z so the PO didnt tell me that his old dipstick is missing half of it so i found out the hard way. Anyways I tried using my vg30e one from my na z and it seems to work fine when its in there to check but if i leave it in there it takes a beating from something its all bent and mangled when i check it again. What I want to if anyone of you do know is what dip stick should i use and what is inside the turbo z oil pan wrecking my dip sticks?

from z31performance.com http://www.z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9765&p=102166&hilit=dip+stick+vg33#p102166

bleh, as to my knowledge

- the entire long block can be utilized

- if you dont tow much with your Z, it's advised to swap camshafts

- lower intake manifold has different injectors, a casted into(?) coolant neck, so use your 3.0's lower intake &neck

- obviously use your Z's oil pan, and pick up tube - relocate the dip stick

- I wouldn't reccomend using your Z's heads, the 3.3's bore diameter brings the combustion chamber close to water passages, the 3.3's heads are better cast, have smoother ports and also the reduced CC's of the 3.0's head raises compression further stressing components

-use the VG30DE's oil pump and if you want the oil filter in the Z31's "spot".. though the 3.3's mounts it in a quick'n'easy to reach spot - the oil pressure sensor right next to it makes a good turbo feed

One issue i'm interested in is the vg30de's underdrive pullys mounting on the VG33E's crank snout, spacing might be an issue.. but thats what washers are for

then your common stuff, swapping mouting brackets, routing lines blah blah it's late im forgetting things.. you should be able to take it from here

Don't know what they mean by relocating the dipstick. Maybe ask them.

Jose

from z31performance.com http://www.z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9765&p=102166&hilit=dip+stick+vg33#p102166

Don't know what they mean by relocating the dipstick. Maybe ask them.

Jose

It's probably the crankshaft beating it, I know when I replaced the engine on my pathy last year, the motor that was going in was out of a two wheel drive and the oil pans are alot different due to the 4 wheel drive. The pans are alot deeper on the 4x4. Or at least they're stamped to hold most of the oil behind the cross member . Dip sticks may be different lenghths as well.

there are 3 locations for a dipstick at the base of the block.(2 on 1 side and 1 on the other) Its as simple as removing a plug and moving your tube to another hole then plug the hole. Actually that sounds hard considering both the block and pan are in place...

My guess is wrong tube, wrong location; so the hole it is using and the angle of the tube being used is pointing the stick at the crank(inward) whereas a differant tube might point the stick straight down.

enjoi the 3.3 :)

yup you guys are right i found it out before i checked back here i talked to a few people from z31p and they said the PO put the dip stick in the front spot on the driver side so i need to move it to the back one and plug the front one. how do i do that though haha they said i need to take the oil pan out or pull the motor.

If the oil level reads to your satisfaction, it might be that the tube is clocked wrong. I had a similar problem on the JDM motor I put in my pathy back in april. I used the original pathfinder oil tube and dipstick, but when I turned the crank while doing a t-belt, I fskced it up. The tube was turned wrong and put the end of the dipstick right in a shear point of the crank. Took it right off. I had to use the dipstick from my junkyard pathfinder.

It would be very beneficial to you to pull the motor and drop the pan and get it right. You do not want the end of the dipstick floating around in your oil pan right under the crank.