rain enters though heaterbox

birdy99

Help! Everytime it rains, I have rain pouring out the bottom of the heaterbox onto the pass. side floor mat. I plan to pull it out to fix it but any insight will help. I have no clue as to how its leaking. Do I need a new box or is it just a seal?

Help! Everytime it rains, I have rain pouring out the bottom of the heaterbox onto the pass. side floor mat. I plan to pull it out to fix it but any insight will help. I have no clue as to how its leaking. Do I need a new box or is it just a seal?

I think I can help! First thing you need to take out your glovebox, and then take out the flat metal plate behind it. After you get all that done look for the blower motor resistor, which is in the middle of the box, has a bit of wiring going to it, and is more than likely held on by to phillips head screws. Now if your having the same problem I did, once you take that resistor out, you see a good bit of standing water inside that box, which is causing your problem. Check firstly that it is water, and not antifreeze leaking from the heater core. I got a wet vac and a small towel and mopped up all the water I could, and then put the resistor back in. Next, there is a rubber hose attached to the bottom of the heater box that you were just cleaning out. It exits through the fire wall, and acts as a drain for all that water. Now I used an air compressor, to blast a bit of pressure through that hose, and it broke the clog free and water came gushing out. Don't know if this is your problem or not, but if it is, it's an easy fix and you should be leak-free in no time :aok:

I don't recommend using air to blast the clog out, it can blast a hole in the AC. I always stick a long zip-tie up through the drain pipe, that way if I poke through I don't puncture anything.

Good point, I just couldn't come up with anything i had lying around to snake through the hose. Zip tie would work great though...