First Time Timing Belt

Mr3B

Hello All,

I have never replaced anything on a import before and I am terrified right now. I grew up on Chevys and this is so far from what I am used to it is not even funny.

I bought a 98 with automatic for my wife and it was running great. Well then it started leaking anti-freeze I figured out it was just the bypass hose which I thought was crazy since the timing belt and water pump had been replaced and they did not replace this hose. Needless to say I took everything off and replaced the hose. Before I took the timing belt off I marked it with a Sharpie and I have put it right back where it was but when I read the repair manual it states to align the white lines with the marks on the cam shaft sprockets. So did the guy who replaced the timing belt place the belt wrong? It is a Nissan belt and you can see the white line very easily. Any help would be much appreciated! I also would like to know should I go ahead and repalce the belt again it only has about 30K on it but looks new. Like I said it was running very good and I just want it back running again.

Thanks,

Mr3B

Edited by Mr3B

i have changed two of those hoses and never removed a thing so sorry to hear that u tore it all apart for a 15 min job, long needle nose pliers were all u needed

also what are u asking if u marked the belt and cams and crank never moved why would u be asking if the previous person did it right?

or did u mean it does not work right after u put it back together?

if so remove 1st spark plug on pass side confirm it is at top dead center with a screw driver or something in the hole then confirm cam marks match with case marks then count 40 teeth between cam marks and 43 between drivers side cam down to crank sprocket mark marks on belt make no diff just make it easier for grease monkey's LOL

i have changed two of those hoses and never removed a thing so sorry to hear that u tore it all apart for a 15 min job, long needle nose pliers were all u needed

also what are u asking if u marked the belt and cams and crank never moved why would u be asking if the previous person did it right?

or did u mean it does not work right after u put it back together?

if so remove 1st spark plug on pass side confirm it is at top dead center with a screw driver or something in the hole then confirm cam marks match with case marks then count 40 teeth between cam marks and 43 between drivers side cam down to crank sprocket mark marks on belt make no diff just make it easier for grease monkey's LOL

Thank you for the reply. I was curious if the belt needed to be set in the orientation in the manual, with the white lines set at the camshaft marks. I marked it and everything is back where it was when I started. I still need to adjust the tension and I am a little nervous about that. I will double check teeth count tomorrow should I replace the belt again?

Edited by Mr3B

Was they pathy runnung fine before you did it? If so, and the belt is back to where it was before, then no problems. And as madhornet said, you definatly didn't need to do all that to change the 3" hose. It's a pain since its like under the distributor, but it can be done, i've done it a few times. But, hey, learning right?

Jose