Strange Clicking....please help!

pathblazin420

ok so heres my problem

i get a strange clicking/tapping coming from the the motor usually in 4th or 5th gear between 1800-2800 rpm range. usually when the car is warm too and a lil under load too

so hopefully one of u guys have experienced this before and can help me out

it kinda sounds like some timing chain rattle or possible the valves. my buddys truck had a similar sound comin out of it and we replaced the timin chair and never happened again

some help would be very appreciated. hope this is not anythin serious cuz this is my daily!!!

You may want to check your timing, for an MPFI it should be set at 15*BTDC.

i have something similar right now...sounds like an engine ping when starting to increase rpm...almost like bad or low octane gas...im running premium!!

Tye

wasnt sure if these ran belts or chains.....well now i know

ill check the timing tmrw. hopefully it is just that

i usually run 89 but ill throw in some premium today and see how it goes

the sounds more of like clatter then a ping. almost sounds like the fan hitting on something but ive checked everything and nothing is rubbing or touching so im pretty positive its comin from inside the motor.

i cant really pin point is because the only time is does it as it high speeds.

As far as octane goes, running a higher octane isn't going to benefit you very much, if at all. These are low compression motors (9:1) and don't require anything more than 87 or 89.

nope only happens when the cars under load in either 4th or 5th gear between about 1500-2500 RPM's.

it seems kinda like it happens when im in 5th or 4th (at about 1500rpms) and need to speed up a lil but no enough to downshift so i just give it gas and it will start makin the noise till i hit about 2500-3000 rpm. after it happens once it will usually happen a few more times and then stop. sometimes wont happen at all

i got a Spal Electric fan that i am going to install pretty soon so well see if it is the fan or not

r the fans on the r50s thermal clutch fans or just belt driven?

looks like thermal clutch from what i can see

Edited by pathblazin420

yeah i know thats why i never run higher then 89 but i have had a few people tell me that this could happen from runnin low octane so ill give it a try

They are correct if it's a high compression motor designed to run off 91, what happens when running low octane fuel is pre-ignition or pinging.

Mine does the same thing as yours, with both motors. It's what happens when you bog a motor down and start floating valves...

It's not good for the motor to make it do that, if you need to speed up then shift down unless you're revving past 2500 or so.

The engine simply cannot make enough power to really accelerate in 4th at low RPMs, and bogs down, which causes the clattering.

And yes, they are a viscous clutch set up.

I don't know if many people here know this but the owner's manual specifies that some spark knock is normal. Look under the SPARK KNOCK section in the manual. Mine will sometimes ping under load for a second or two and then stop. The pinging happens when the ECU adjusts the timing for your application to save you fuel and provide optimum engine performance.