n00bish questions

Der_Vier

Greetings from NoVA and Shepherdstown. I aquired my 1998 XE in april and have had a good time with it. I am wondering though-would a wheel from an 86.5-95 pathfinder fit on mine? I am looking to repalce my spare (nice and rusted) and don't want to have to buy a brand new wheel and it seems parts from the earlier Pathfinders are in abundance.

Also-is it possible to take the rear swing out tire mount off of an 86.5-96 pathfinder and mount it on my 98 with minimal drilling?

Thanks

IV

Yes, an older Pathfinder wheel will fit.

No, you cannot install an OEM tire carrier on any R50 that was not originally equipped with it from the factory. There are additional gussets behind the sheetmetal at the rear corner where the carrier mounts, but those gussets are not there on models that don't have the carrier. The only option for adding an tire carrier to an R50 is to attach it to a custom rear bumper or use a tire carrier that fits in the receiver hitch. One drawback of a hitch-mounted carrier is of course, that you have to remove it every time you want to open the tailgate.

Bullocks...too bad so sad :thumbsdown: oh well. That is good to know about the wheel, as it can be unnerving to drive down the road knowing that my spare will not serve much purpose if I catch a flat.

Going to hijack my own thread...would a brush guard and trailer hitch on the front/back of an early 90's pathfinder bolt into the front/back of my 98? Or did they change the frame around and such?

Going to hijack my own thread...would a brush guard and trailer hitch on the front/back of an early 90's pathfinder bolt into the front/back of my 98? Or did they change the frame around and such?

LOL, they actually had a frame in the early 90's, thats your difference.

As far as the brush guard goes, "no" the rear hitch I would venture to say "no" but I've not actually tried that one, so don't take my word for the hitch.

Yes, an older Pathfinder wheel will fit.

No, you cannot install an OEM tire carrier on any R50 that was not originally equipped with it from the factory. There are additional gussets behind the sheetmetal at the rear corner where the carrier mounts, but those gussets are not there on models that don't have the carrier.

couldn't you go wd21 style and bastardize the supports out of a doner from a j/y (where I would partially presume the spare tire rack would be coming from)? I'd stick with stuff from an r50 though. the difference might not be worth the effort over the patience of looking for the right parts. And yea, the wheels will bolt on :aok: , front brush guard is gonna be different, and as stated the hitch is proably different since your comparing apples and carrots...

@Fukin.. humor this early in the AM helps :coffee!: Thanks for pointing that out, I secretly knew that.

@nunya..thanks, I will prolly just keep an eye out for an R50 being parted out that has a brush guard on it...