Exhaust systems

SurleyOne

My exhaust is about to fall off, and i know that there are several legal ramifications and some mechanical ones. I'm an old Chevy V8 guy & they will run just fine no matter what you put on even straight pipes which are deafening. I used to run Cherry bombs on my V8 Chevy's, but can i do this with a Nissan V6. Is there enough back pressur. By Cherry Bombs, I mean that when you pick up the muffler & look through it there are NO RESTRICTIONS OR BAFFLES WHAT SO EVER! You can see right through. The muffler is simply an expansion chamber usually filled with fiberglass insulation, which does a great job of muffling the sound unless you put your foot to the floor & then she gets REAL LOUD!! So can I use these on my V6 without causing any damage, like burning out the valves? Surleyone

There have been a few people experimenting with exhaust lately and the general concensus is that some backpressure is desired, but mainly to keep low end torque. I have not heard of a lot of people burning valves but then very few run straight pipes either.

I have sold a stock mid pipe with precat that andreus009 put back on to recapture some power and both Tungsten and I have wound up with almost identical exhaust systems, simply because it is a logical, proven combination. MY1PATH is giving you good info also, but I think you'd want some backpressure.

B

on my 87 hardbody V6 I ran with the cat, with no cat, used at different times flowmaster, Supertrapp and lastly a Borla muffler, all used the same 2.25" tailpipe, no change in how the truck ran with any of the mufflers just the sound changed

Some Magnaflow and older Edelbrock mufflers are a non-baffled design that generates practically zero back pressure.

I've ran straight pipes on a Pathfinder. Made no difference at all in torque compared with a full exhaust system, gained a MPG or so with it being straight piped. All it was was a down pipe below the back seat.

And pipe sizing has about 95% to do with the primary exhaust size, not so much the rest of the system. All the velocity is generated in the primaries (header/manifold down pipe flange). Nothing else really matters after that point.

I'm not sure if you know but Cherry Bomb makes several different model mufflers. I 'm looking at installing a Cherry Bomb Vortex in my rig I'm steppin up to 3" but I still intend to run a cat and the Vortex is not straight through plus with the final bends to the tip I'm figuring i should still enough back presure. I'll post a thread soon so everyone can check out what i got going on :)