W WA Camping this weekend

enginerd

We're aiming to go camping this weekend, and hope to be able to swim. I'd like to use this as a chance to get the newly-rehabbed truck onto an (easy) trail. Any ideas for a place to go, within a couple hours' drive of Seattle, where we could drive, on or off roads, to "near" a lake or lazy river, and camp? I just don't know the area well enough yet. So far, thinking about the Mountain Loop Highway outside of Darrington, and just parking off the road near the river. Would have loved to try Tahuya, but don't know where to camp over there...

Ideas are appreciated, and all are welcome if you want to join and show me what I'm doing on the trails!

I believe their are places to camp near Tahuya, but not in the trail itself. Also, it is forbidden to night wheel at Tahuya, and well, most places around. Pulling off the road on Mountain Loop Highway is probably your best bet, but I'm sure some other locals will chime in.

Sounds like we're headed east of the pass to avoid possible rain on Sunday. Thinking about the Fortune Creek Trail, near Cle Elum, and camping at Gallagher Head Lake. Just hope it's not too crowded. Thanks for the input... and wish we were free on 10/2 for the group run!