wifes pathy tranny troubles

jberzins

Yesterday my wife told me that her car was revving very high at about 40 miles an hour. I checked the tranny fluid and it did not show up on the dipstick, so I added about a quart. It seems to be registering at the very bottom of the dipstick. Well she took it out and when she got back a couple hours later she said it was now doing it at about 25 mph. Any thoughts, I was thinking of getting some of that lucas additive that claims to help slipping, should I drain the fluid and put new fluid in? Any thoughts would be of help.

Thanks.

By the way she says when she was driving in 2 it was fine, is it bad for her to be driving around in 2?

Edited by jberzins

Well the thing with WD21's and the autos is that they are prone to failure, the stock tranny cooler clogs and reduces flow of the fluid so they over heat. Which is kind of what happens when they are ran low on fluid. your best bet is to stop driving it until you get an aftermarket cooler installed and the proper fluid level is obtained. But since it's slipping already, the damage has been done.

Automatic trannys want the fluid level at a specific amount, too much and too little does not do it any good. What condition is the fluid in, pink and clean? When is the last time the tranny was serviced?

Removing the pan, replacing the filter, having it backflushed and all the fluid replaced may help and it may not if there has been sufficient damage done already. It also won't address if the stock cooler in the tranny is clogged.

I am positive that driving it around in it's current condition only guarentees complete failure.

B

Sorry I did not mention that I had installed a transmission cooler. I filled the fluid up to level and it shifts fine into 2nd, but when it hits about 4500 it wont go into 3rd. I too feel the tranny is probably toast. I may try adding one of those Lucas supplements, but I think the third is shot. She can drive it around since we are in a small town. We are not ready to plunge into another vehicle yet, but I am going to start looking. I am not willing to replace the transmission, too much for this truck. So, what do you folks think, should I even try to sell it? It actually has a pretty good body and lots of good parts. Ideas?

Thanks again for help.

Before you junk it or part it out, download the Factory Service Manual (found pinned in the Garage section) and go through the AT diagnostic section. Hopefully it will help you get a better idea of what is going on.

B