cams

shotzie417

My dad and i pulled the motor out of our pathy and are rebuilding it, also doin some upgrades along the way one of them is cams so witch one should i get? On 4x4 parts.com they have three to chose from one with .473" of lift and 266* of deration, one with .460" of lift and 260* of rotation, and also one with .392" of lift and 264* of rotation. The first two are $550 and the third one is about $180. Thanx for the help

that depends heavily on what your plans are.

Personally instead of a 3.0 rebuild I would start with a newer 3.3 block and heads. Might cost less than a rebuild if you get lucky.

http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=205223&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1 is a good writeup on how one guy did his.

Getting back to cams, the third cam I belive is the euro spec. cam. Nissan has an over abundance of them right now and 5523Pathfinder should be able to get you an even better deal on those.

they offer a clean idle, good emissions and a bit more power up top without sacraficing any down low.

The other 2 I beive are actually jim wolf cams. the larger one is not friendly with automatics and idle will have to be raised to ~1100 and you will still hear it lope @ that speed. the power comes in high and your lower rpm ranges will be weaker.

the middle one comes in about 2k rpm and gives a good pull from there up. Idle to 2k may feel weaker (esp on a 3.0) and it will still have slight lope sound @ normal idle.

If you want a good option that bridges the gap between the eurospec and the JWT you can have schneider racing cams do you their "256H" grind.

The one thing I cannot stress enough is to use ZDDP in your oil. If you break in your engine without it your lifters will wear prematurely and get noisy.

Brad Penn racing oil and royal purple still contain zddp and I recomend using additves from schneider racing to increase those levels and aid your break in.

MY1PATH - I have a spare set of cams from my old VG30i. From what I have been able to gather, they should be identical to the VG30e cams. If that's the case, would you recommend the Schneider 256h grind for those? I'm asking since I know how much research you did for your cams.

yes and yes.

I also recomend cam gears to fine tune it. Schneider was 3degrees off on my custom grind and there is a 300zx thread saying small degreeing errors are common for schneider...