Newbie Question

pmccallister

Thanks! You have a great looking rig. Im getting my timing belt done next month.

Phil

Very good idea there, I changed them on both of mine when I got them because there was no record of when they had been done and were at a milage that was close to the recommended interval. My wife had a 94 Hardbody (used freebe in 98) and the belt snapped on it (week after we got it), it cost $6k to get fixed because the motor was completely toasted. Usually it only trashes a couple valve if it snaps while running, but it looked like no one had ever changed the oil in that motor, so a complete motor swap was the only option.

That looks good to me. Now I just neet to find a grill guard and a rear bumber and Im ready.

Also check out 4Wheelparts, sometimes they run tire/wheel package deals that come out better than just tires alone. I got 31x10.5 BFG MT on a set of 15x8 black steel wheels for $610 (should have been $710, but the salesman screwed up). That price included mounting, balancing, and valve stems. At that time the BFG MTs were $135 a piece and the wheels were $38 a piece.

I think anything wider than a 31/ 10.50 would be too wide on the factory steel wheel, it pulls the sidewalls in to far and makes the tire look funny, of course everyone has their own opinions, I would say if you plan to run a tire wider than 31/10.50's than you would be better to get a set of 8" wide wheels, 33/12.50's work fine on 8's as well as 10" wide wheels but the wider you go you have to pay attention to the wheels backspacing, if the backspacing is not the same as the factory wheel's backspacing the tire wheel combination will stick out too far and most likely will rub.

The big question everyone always hears is " how big a tire can I run?"

The answer is as big as you want, it all depends on what you want to to do to the vehicle to get the tires to fit, you could run 44's if you plan to take the fenders off and cut the hell out of all the sheet metal, not something most would do but it is possible.

Make sure to post some pics when you are done, thanks