Brake Problem

Soccerstudd5

Let me start by saying I have a 94 with 4 wheel disc. Changed the front pads and afterwards I had a soft pedal. It still seemed to stop ok, but the while stopped the pedal can be pressed all the way to the floor with very little resistance. Went ahead and changed the rear too, and bled all four numerous times, and same thing. So I put on a new master cylinder (primed it first) and now the same thing. Bled all the brakes again numerous times. I think I went through a whole container of brake fluid and am now getting the new clean fluid out when I bleed em. Still stops fine, just has that extra play that makes me a little worried. Also, the ABS light has been coming on and off randomly for about a month or two. Took it to a shop and he said it might be in the ABS system but he doesn't have the equipment for imports this far back. Any ideas? shrug.gif

my ABS light is just on, and I have similar problems. When you double pump does the pedal stiffen up?

My pedal goes much farther than it should, and I have done exactly what you've done. Bled all five bleeders til it was clear fluid coming out. Be sure to bleed the ABS unit before you bleed the rear's! But when I double pump the pedal on the second pump it's stiff as a rock and I could make the truck stand on its nose.

I don't think we ever bled the ABS, talking about the actuator? I was told it was on the passenger frame rail under the rear door, that right? And other than that, that's the order I went in. I'll check that, and yes it does stiffen up when pumped, but then after so many pumps it gets soft again. Someone suggested to me the booster has a leak??? I dunno, will do some more checking this weekend and see what we can find out.

That's exactly where it is, and Mister510 talked to one of his buddies (he knows everyone who knows nissans) about my problem and said that the ABS module gets bled first, and then the rear wheels.

Check your flex lines as well, one could be bulging out when you press on the brakes. Also you gotta bleed the abs thing like 5 times its a pain to get the air out.

The only way I was ever able to properly bleed the ABS unit was to gravity bleed it (fill up the MC reservoir, attach a line to the nipple, break it loose 1/4 turn, walk away for 15 minutes, come back, shut off nipple, refill the MC Res and drive off.

Thanks Simon for that tip.

B