The gun topic(not that gun buddy)

nismothunder

Yeah, we'd just have to wait until you stumbled across the 50 yard line to pop off the next clip... ;)

I understand what you are saying though and it's why I prefer a revolver and the 357. Not hard to shoot out of a good gun and you can have good control way down range. As for pistol VS revolver, I'll agree, a pistol is better for combat. Nothing personal all you CCW guys, but I never saw any combat in over 20 years and 1/2 the time I was working security, collections and even a stint for detectives. I've never fatally lacked having a fire arm (hahaha) but also don't miss relying on the 'last defense' either. Many others can work wonders before you even get to that point... ;)

B

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll do it,since there isnt a chance in hell of you hitting me at 200 yards with any kind of handgun.Singal shot 308s not included.Maybe I said it wrong,It wont effectively dispatch a person at a hundred yards,so on the off chance you hit me,besure to know I'm coming for ya.

I disagree with your opinion on handgun lethality at 100 yards. Is a light fast bullet like a 115 grain 9mm going to be very effective at that range? No but it could still easily kill you. How about a 230 grain slug out of a .45? They still pack a wallop at 100 yards let me tell you. I've shot enough 1 gallon water jugs at 100 yards with my .45 to say that if I hit you at that range it's going to do a lot more than break the skin! Most of us concentrate our handgun practice at ranges of 50 feet or less, heck 30 feet or less really as that's the range where we're most likely to use a handgun... but it's not a bad idea to know about how much drop there is at 100 yards or so in case you ever do need to make a long-range shot. Check out Hickok45 banging the gong with a 1911 at 230 yards with Winchester White Box ammo from Wal-Mart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2cnop15VA8

I'll do it,since there isnt a chance in hell of you hitting me at 200 yards with any kind of handgun.Singal shot 308s not included.Maybe I said it wrong,It wont effectively dispatch a person at a hundred yards,so on the off chance you hit me,besure to know I'm coming for ya.

I've practiced at 100 yards with my 1911 just for the hell of it and can hit a 10" target with 3 out of 5 shots. 200 yards can't be much harder. I use my Iphone ballistics program to calculate the drop. I don't have a 308 pistol but I do have a TC with a 10" 30/30 barrel that I used to shoot silhouettes with. That ram at 200 meters is about a people size target. I also have an bushmaster carbon 15 pistol in 223, with a 100 round beta mag for it. Thats a round for every 2 yards for when your coming for me. I've been shooting with my Dad since I was 6 years old, there isn't much we haven't tried.

Now we are getting off the subject we are supposed to be discussing guns not shooting at each other!

James

I've never fatally lacked having a fire arm (hahaha)

That's a very good thing! A gun is one of those tools everyone should hope they never need. The vast majority of people that CCW will never use their weapon in self defense. Even cops are statistically incredibly unlikely to ever fire their sidearm in the line of duty and they certainly should be at much greater risk than the general public. That said, my handgun saved my life and thankfully I didn't have to shoot anybody. It's a long story that I'd rather not tell again as it was the most traumatic experience of my life. I believe there is zero chance I could have survived this encounter if I hadn't been carrying a firearm. It's been many years and I'm sick to my stomach thinking about it as I type this.

Check out Hickok45 banging the gong with a 1911 at 230 yards with Winchester White Box ammo from Wal-Mart:

Ok, the funny part of the video is that he seemed upset every time he missed. :rolleyes:

Remarkable, I never would have thought that possible!! I've shot at 1 liter water bottles and oranges at 50 yards and a 1' steel plate at 100 yards with a 6" 357 and was about as successful as that guy, but that was at bunch rest (lawn chair and a boot) and much closer.

Thats a round for every 2 yards for when your coming for me. I've been shooting with my Dad since I was 6 years old, there isn't much we haven't tried.

Now we are getting off the subject we are supposed to be discussing guns not shooting at each other!

*snort*

Your dad tried to shoot you while you ran at him?? :blink:

Good point, I agree that no one wants to be shot at with anything. Someone was stealing gas 2 nights ago and got a few neighbors. I told one neighbor that if I saw someone trying to siphon from my truck, I'd shoot them... with my pellet rifle. 1 shot of 1000+FPS 15.5 grain pointed pellet in the leg or arse would make them stop but probably not send them to the hospital if they had the balls to get the lead out. Point is it really doesn't take much to be a real issue...

B

I disagree with your opinion on handgun lethality at 100 yards. Is a light fast bullet like a 115 grain 9mm going to be very effective at that range? No but it could still easily kill you. How about a 230 grain slug out of a .45? They still pack a wallop at 100 yards let me tell you. I've shot enough 1 gallon water jugs at 100 yards with my .45 to say that if I hit you at that range it's going to do a lot more than break the skin! Most of us concentrate our handgun practice at ranges of 50 feet or less, heck 30 feet or less really as that's the range where we're most likely to use a handgun... but it's not a bad idea to know about how much drop there is at 100 yards or so in case you ever do need to make a long-range shot. Check out Hickok45 banging the gong with a 1911 at 230 yards with Winchester White Box ammo from Wal-Mart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2cnop15VA8

Sub sonic rounds.I wasnt saying a regular powered round.

I'd shoot them... with my pellet rifle. 1 shot of 1000+FPS 15.5 grain pointed pellet in the leg or arse would make them stop but probably not send them to the hospital if they had the balls to get the lead out. Point is it really doesn't take much to be a real issue...

B

I regulary shoot at my ass neighbors house,truck and his fat ass on a 4x when he's riding the property line,even pump bb guns that shoot at 5-600 fps hurt,And will make somebuddy think twice about coming at you.

Ha,now yourthe crazy old man whos shooting people with pellot guns.

I haven't yet, but it is more likely than with the 12 gauge for any petty crime. Go ahead and go complain to the cops that the mean old man shot you in the ass with a pellet rifle because you were tagging his mailbox or trying to siphon some gas. :lol:

Sub sonic rounds.I wasnt saying a regular powered round.

I don't think you can buy supersonic 230 grain 45 ACP rounds at all, much less at Walmart. Yeah, those were subsonic. Remember the principle the 45 was designed on, throw big rocks...

B

That's a very good thing! A gun is one of those tools everyone should hope they never need. The vast majority of people that CCW will never use their weapon in self defense. Even cops are statistically incredibly unlikely to ever fire their sidearm in the line of duty and they certainly should be at much greater risk than the general public. That said, my handgun saved my life and thankfully I didn't have to shoot anybody. It's a long story that I'd rather not tell again as it was the most traumatic experience of my life. I believe there is zero chance I could have survived this encounter if I hadn't been carrying a firearm. It's been many years and I'm sick to my stomach thinking about it as I type this.

Well, I'm sorry you were involved in a serious incident and glad you got out of it ok. Obviously, to each their own but I just can't imagine packing a concealed firearm everywhere I went. That said, for special occasions I do have a derringer and the P230 sits nice in the Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster, but then I would never carry a concealed weapon because I am not licensed for it.

B

How can yall talk about 30-06 and forget about the .308 or 7.62x51?!?!?! It's version II of the old 30-06. I'm extremely pleased with my Ruger in .308, tons of military surplus and a range of loading options.. Nothing is better IMHO, it's what I like. The long action of the 30-06 leaves something to be desired, especially for semi-auto applications.

I still shoot my old Swedish Mauser from 1911, 6.5x55, helluva old round with similar if not better loading characteristics as the .243

.357 for handguns is king in my book, still looking for that S&W Performance Center 627 that won't allow me to leave the gun show without it.

Love my .380 PPK/S SS(old interarms version), heavy snappy little thing always willing to perform. Cheap clean rounds are getting hard to find though..

My main shotty is a Mossberg 590(gotta love magnum 00), my bedside blast from the past is an 870 wingmaster that's been "short'ned" up a bit ;)

Next on the list is an M1A, just having a hard time justifying the $$

.357 for handguns is king in my book, still looking for that S&W Performance Center 627 that won't allow me to leave the gun show without it.

So, you are the one that's interfering with my next purchase...

GL, they are nice!! :beer:

B

How can yall talk about 30-06 and forget about the .308 or 7.62x51?!?!?! It's version II of the old 30-06. I'm extremely pleased with my Ruger in .308, tons of military surplus and a range of loading options.. Nothing is better IMHO, it's what I like. The long action of the 30-06 leaves something to be desired, especially for semi-auto applications.

I still shoot my old Swedish Mauser from 1911, 6.5x55, helluva old round with similar if not better loading characteristics as the .243

Love my .380 PPK/S SS(old interarms version), heavy snappy little thing always willing to perform. Cheap clean rounds are getting hard to find though..

My main shotty is a Mossberg 590(gotta love magnum 00), my bedside blast from the past is an 870 wingmaster that's been "short'ned" up a bit ;)

Next on the list is an M1A, just having a hard time justifying the $$

A swedish mauser was my first hunting rifle. I kind of screwed it up for collector value though. I drilled and tapped the receiver for a scope mount and shortened up the stock and barrel. I could put bullets in the same hole at 100 yard with it. I finally shelved it for a weatherby 270, then put that one up for my AR15 in 243 WSSM.

The 6.5x55 is basically the European rem 260.

Now if you want a really accurate military rifle get your self a K31 swiss rubin. They shoot 7.5x55. The trigger is better than most off the shelf target triggers.

I made a plug for my Mossberg 590 so I could hunt with it. I think it was like 11 inches long. Wasn't a rabbit in 30 yards that could get away from me!

James

• 9 months later...

Something new in my collection :wub:

Tikka T3 lite syn/SS .308cal

Bi-pod

Bushnell 4-16x40

Butler creek flip up scope cover

Greystone sound suppressor

DSC02066.jpg

DSC02068.jpg

Now to kill something with it.... So far only targets and a coke can @ 150yrds :D

Something new in my collection :wub:Tikka T3 lite syn/SS .308calBi-podBushnell 4-16x40Butler creek flip up scope cover Greystone sound suppressorDSC02066.jpgDSC02068.jpgNow to kill something with it.... So far only targets and a coke can @ 150yrds :D

I LOVE it, what kind of hunting do you do, or plan to do with that beast?

Also, do you have anymore vids of you offroading in the works, love the ones you've put out.

Couple of my guns:

Springfield GI 1911(this particular one is one of the old ones made in the US, unlike the new ones that are made in Brazil)

photo%2525201%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

Para Ordnance GI Expert 1911

photo%2525202%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

Beretta AL391 Urika Waterfowl Edition(I dont have a picture of it for some reason anymore, so I had to google one)

AL391.jpg

Cant wait till duck season starts again!!

I LOVE it, what kind of hunting do you do, or plan to do with that beast?

Also, do you have anymore vids of you offroading in the works, love the ones you've put out.

I normally hunt rabbits and opossums with one of my two Mavrick 88 12g's.

I want to go after deer, goats, Thar and pigs...... one day, zombies.

I might also use it on the next rabbit shoot, some may laugh, but what better training for large game shooting than small game shooting.

While the rounds are a little more expensive the only other option is dropping another small fortune on a varmint cal rifle.

Nothing in the works, too busy on other things. :beer:

Something new in my collection :wub:

Tikka T3 lite syn/SS .308cal

Bi-pod

Bushnell 4-16x40

Butler creek flip up scope cover

Greystone sound suppressor

DSC02066.jpg

DSC02068.jpg

Now to kill something with it.... So far only targets and a coke can @ 150yrds :D

Nice! :aok: Gotta love the look of an integral suppressor.

I wish we could get suppressors over here without getting anal probed by the government. I don't really think its worth the trouble but might have to just bend over and take it because I have an itch for a 300 whisper AR. And owning a whisper without a suppressor just wouldn't make sense. :scratchhead:

James