My AT temp gauge is Hawt!

lint

So, err, um...I installed my external AT cooler, and today hooked up the temp gauge, but I'm al little concerned as the terminals on the back of the gauge are quite warm to the touch... actually hot.

The ground and the power wires especially. I'm using 18 gauge wire and crimp on connectors but will solder those connections tomorrow. I ran power from the fuse box for the gauge: from the stereo fuse. The ground is running to the frame. Just wondering is the heat is normal, or am I gonna have a problem here? :crossedwires:

You could always run your power from the cigarette lighter.

copy that.

Thanks!

Edited by lint

I never checked mine for temp, but it shouldn't be hot. That is not supposed to be a heavy draw item...

B

Hey Precise,

Did you tap into the dimmer circuit so that your gauge light dims along with your other lights? If so, how'd / where'd you do dat?

Thanks,

Lint

Your gauge would need a third connector on it. Basically a constant (switched) power wire that runs the light, and then a signal wire hooked up to the vehicles lights or somewhere that gets power when the markers are turned on, and also a ground.

Hey Precise,

Did you tap into the dimmer circuit so that your gauge light dims along with your other lights? If so, how'd / where'd you do dat?

Thanks,

Lint

I'm not sure you want to follow in my footsteps with that. I wired the ilumination bulb directly off of the dimmer switch wire that changed voltage when the switch was rotated, and the other to ground. Unfortunately, I had the switch removed and didn't realize that the voltage was highest (on the wire I used) when the the switch was in off position. End effect was that the ilumination light for the tranny temp gauge was backwards from all the other lit instruments. I didn't deal with it for a while, and when I was going to fix it, the bulb was burnt out so i said fark it. Maybe some day when I've got nothing more important to do... :shrug:

B

Yea, sounds like intense resistance...that translates into heat.

Check your wiring dude, may have something crossed up...

Yah, the jokers that wired up the PO's aftermarket stereo, did some funky business that I had to sort out. Basically, it was always powered, no matter what the key position was, even though the stereo wouldn't turn on w/o the key in the acc position. ??? yeah, funky like I said... so, followed the Guru's advice and wired it into the ciggy lighter. Happy days. Thanks to all who chimed in! :beer:

I'm not sure you want to follow in my footsteps with that. I wired the ilumination bulb directly off of the dimmer switch wire that changed voltage when the switch was rotated, and the other to ground. Unfortunately, I had the switch removed and didn't realize that the voltage was highest (on the wire I used) when the the switch was in off position. End effect was that the ilumination light for the tranny temp gauge was backwards from all the other lit instruments. I didn't deal with it for a while, and when I was going to fix it, the bulb was burnt out so i said fark it. Maybe some day when I've got nothing more important to do... :shrug:

B

thats cause you have to wire up both pos and neg to the switch. i had thatproblem too