pathys messin up

i was driving home from a friends house and 5 minutes after i began the trip then engine began to shut off whenever the throttle wasnt applied. i managed to get home by giving it some gas while i'd stop and while waiting at red lights. when i did get home i put it on park and it didn't immediately shut off but the idle rpms were buggin out. it would almost shut off and drop almost to 0 then just shoot back to 1000 over and over. i'm guessing a full tune up would help and the problem is probably some kind of sensor in the intake system or the distributor. any help troubleshooting to diagnose the problem would be wonderful. thanks in advance.

check the MAF and the connector to the MAF mine did that everytime i put the clutch in and let the rpms drop. It ended up bring the wireing was getting hit by the hood and causing it to put a short in it if i touch the cord while the car was on it would rev or die

hey b, if the engine light is not on then will there be any error codes to find?

Are you sure the wiring to the bulb is ok or that the bulb isn't burnt out?? Do you even have a bulb there??? :D

You get it. It can't hurt to check and 55 is good to see, most of the time...

B

i got another one for u guys..

can there be any damage done by removing the carbon canister?

and i really f*cked up the bottom screw on the MAF sensor and idk how to fix it, i dont have a dremil just basic tool set and i'm stumped tryin to get it off

No, feel free to to remove it to get access, just be gentle with the hoses, they are old...

The fix is to remove the old bolt (with pliers if need be) and put in another one that doesn't have a mangled head.

B

i'll check that out bonez. but first, i managed to get the maf sensor off, now one of the wires looks kinda fishy to me, its kind of warped or bent, it doesnt look too bad and it seems to have solid connection to the two poles but idk if it will affect the sensors performance. i'm trying to get pics up but my memory card reader doesnt wanna work -_-

oh and the carbon canister has a part at the bottom that comes off kind of easily. it connects to a rubber hose that leads to the air box. now i got it to stick on good but it seems to leak air out. is that a big deal or not??

im really sorry for all the questions but im a youngster, and thats what these forums are for after all right?? lol! ;)

thanks in advance u guys. this is helpin me out a lot.

Edited by Eyehategod310

WOOOO!!! i cleaned the maf and it seems to have done the job for now. i started it off and the idle was higher than usual but it went back to normal. i'll see if its back to normal next time i cold start the engine. i drove around and got the engine warmed up and it didnt stall on me nor did the idle sputter and recover like it did before at stop lights. power seems a bit drained but i think it's always been like that i just forgot haha. a tune up should help out with that slightly. i'll report if any problems come up but thanks for the help..