Engine coolant

bigred07

Thankfully this isn't my pathfinder, but our 2003 xterra is being really weird. The coolant will not go from the resevoir back into the radiator like it is supposed to when we shut it off. We look at it in the morning and the resevoir is over full and the radiator is about two and half water bottles worth low. We had the fan clutch replaced on a recomendation from a mechanic but the problem is persisting and the radiotor place we go to at home thought there was a leak but couldn't find any and couldn't figure out what is going on. Any ideas would be appreciated in hellping solve this!

Mine has the same problem(pathfinder),but it also has a leak someplace that I can find.I have no idea why but try replacing the over flow hose if you have one.Or at least take it off and see if it colapses if you suck on it.

How about your radiator cap? replace it, make sure you have the right preassure range. the preassure rating of the cap will define the systems ablity to move coolant in and out of the overflow bottle.

Mine has the same problem(pathfinder),but it also has a leak someplace that I can find.I have no idea why but try replacing the over flow hose if you have one.Or at least take it off and see if it colapses if you suck on it.

Had to replace my top radiator hose due to it collapsing under heat/pressure.

How about your radiator cap? replace it, make sure you have the right preassure range. the preassure rating of the cap will define the systems ablity to move coolant in and out of the overflow bottle.

And the AutoZone radiator cap did not work. Bought one from Nissan, and fixed the problems...

If the reservoir is over full (and you didn't over fill it) and the radiator is low you have a blown head gasket. Snap on sells a carbon monoxide detector to check for this. It uses a yellow fluid that turns blue when it detects carbon monoxide. Might be the other way around, been a long time since I used mine. The engine will run fine but slowly loose coolant.

James