02 Pathfinder - Front Axle Tube Slipping (pics)

PivoArch

I found gear oil leaking form the housing at the axle tube, and the joint moves visibly when you push up on the housing. I suspect the seal has gone bad. What are the recommended fixes for this problem.

DSC00375.jpg

DSC00376.jpg

I' gonna go out on a limb here and say that is not good....if you can move the axle tube, I would suggest not driving it for now until it's repaired.

Was the vehicle in an accident? Axle tubes don't just come loose for no apparent reason.

Find a good Diff shop where you live and give them a call for suggestions.

I have the same issue on my rig.

I have a front & rear diff out of a 97 (4.63 upgrade) both with about 100K on them. They leak, but to my knowledge are not loose. The seal doesn't leak bad IMO so I lend it to being a truck. Heavier gear oil may help, but I'm not sure if that is a real good answer for our trucks.

Yes. I'd take it to a welding shop and have them perfectly align the tubes and weld a few spots for strength. They should know to be careful enough not to penetrate or warp the metal.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am sure it is not going to fall out it is probably just grinding the gears due to the misalignment. I have a few friends who own shops who said that is I bring them the axle they will realign it and weld it up for me. Thanks again for all your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the Pathfinder to a Mechanic friend who does a good amount of off-roading. He suggested no to worry about the mis-aligned tube due to the fact that whatever damage is done to the diff is already done. Basically it is not going to get any worse and even if it does then the worse case is needing to re-weld the tube and fix the gears in the diff. Which is what would need to be done now, so no point in fixing it until it is actually broke. However, he did notice the bushings in the mount that support the diff are shot and recommended replacing those. I found the parts here http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder-parts-r50-1996-2004/genuine-nissan-parts/power-train/389-front-final-drive-mounting/-c-4700_4701_4769_4798.html. My next question is anyone know of a trusted website to get them from or have any experience replacing them? Thanks in advance for any help.

I go here to order all my Nissan parts: http://nissanparts.biz/ They are fairly cheap and have never let me down. I've ordered lights, suspension parts, even a few bumpers. Always within a few days I receive them (coming from Washington state). Rockauto is another place I here about, but never ordered from before.

About not worrying about it, that seems like bad advice. What if it does fail completely, fall apart, stuffhits fuel lines,brake lines,diff oilgets on your tires, spin out of control and cause a 50 car pile up? In my opinion, not something to risk. A cheap alternative to help 'extend' the safety period would be to get manual locking hubs so the front diff isn't spinning at least. Mile Markers are like $75 from autozone, and WARN runs about $160 (though I here the difference is more than worth it). My :my2cents:

Jose