87 misfire

ANDY

hey guys i have a problem i just washed and detailed my 87 pathy yesterday and i drove it about 45 miles and on my way back home my pathy started to misfire and run really rough it stalled on me at a green light then i pulled over and it didnt start back up for a bout 5 minutes and when it did it idled perfect then i started to drive it and it started to bog out and misfire really bad and it started to blow out black smoke. my spark plugs all look ashey i have no clue whats going on and i was wondering if anyone on here has had the same problem or could help me figure this out.

any help would be appreciated

andy

Based on your wasing and haing trouble right after I'm a start with;

get any water under the hood?(wash the engine bay?) the Pre-90 were more prone to misfires if too much water or even vapors got under the dizy cap(points are too close together) Check all your connectors are dry aswell...

The initial misfires may have lead to the ash deposits (fireing way too early with incomplete mixture) which of course cause fouling....

Edited by MY1PATH

gotta agree, you got water somewhere you shouldn't have and it's having issues goeing away. I silicone my cap every time I pull it to help seal it and keep the old h2o outta there.

i took my cap off looked dry but then again the points were kinda rusted but i have a feeling its something else but im going to try to work on it tomorrow after work

Check for nicks in the plug and coil wire insulation, and make sure the connections are good. Check that the plastic casing on the coil isn't cracked (what was wrong with mine when it acted like your's is).

I started up my rig last night and it started to idle wierd it went to 1100 then to like 400 a couple of times then shut off i didnt get to really look at it cause it was dark and i, at work right now but could it be a problem with my fuel injectors? something with my TBI?

hey well i checked my codes and its a 44 and i believe that means no codes but when i start my pathy it fluctuates 3 times and then it dies, has anyone had the same thing happen to there car? if it was my MAF wouldnt a code be showing?

i just read another topic and i think my truck is in safe mode , and do i have to put it in mode 5 to check and see if my MAF is wrong?

Edited by ANDY

• 2 weeks later...

anybody have any ideas why my pathy will start then die immediately? and Do the tps go out on the TBIs a lot?

this thing is kicking my butt right now and cant think of anything that would make it go out like that

change the distributor cap and the rotor you more then likely have corrosion on the contacts in the cap its the same symptoms mine had trust me... It seems weird but if you can take some sand paper to the contacts and clean them off and to the rotor also i bet you see an improvement... if so then there you go...

EDIT... Mine was "auto reving" also thats why i thought that it was something else too... I would bet 100 bucks that if you do like i said you will have your answer...

Edited by jprater88

yeah dude im probably going to try that tommorow after work and also clean my MAF sensor and if that fails might try to change my TPS , but so yours is working better now?

i think i fixed my pathy my MAF sensor was dirty so i cleaned it with carb cleaner and that thing fired up perfect didnt stall and let me rev past 3k but i still need to test drive it, but anyways im happy now time to go camping :beer: