EIther im a noob or there is a problem HELP

Shapes

Hey there folks, so we have got just over 100mm (4") of rain and i decided there would be lots of fun on gravel roads. I wasn't wrong, so i was traveling along and there were a couple puddles and the first two were fine and i got right through. The third one was probably 8-9' long and at most 1 1/2' deep, so i figured i would be alright. So i was going about 30-40 which i thought might be too fast but wasn't sure because im a newb but i went through anyways. I got all the way through and just out of the water it started sputtering and eventually stalled out. I tried restarting it and tons of white smoke or probably steam was coming from the back and under the hood. After the second turn over she kept going sputtering down around 250 RPM every few seconds and then i gave her some gas and she started running smoother. I was scared because there was a longer puddle ahead and probably deeper so i turned around and came back through and had the same problem, only this time when i got back on the road i tried getting up to 60km/h and she would spit and sputter a bit. Now that im home she is running nice.

My question is:

Was i just newbish and going to fast?

Is there likley something wrong?

Or is that much water to much for a stock pathy?

Help lol

Shapes

A splash O watter will make it run rough and sputter. the best thing you can do, If you only got a splash (no slaping or pinging sounds), Is drive it and keep the rpms above 3k rpm and it will clean out (literally).(don't rev it exessively, just keep the rpms up and be easy enough on the pedal to get it moving @ the rate thats it)

Now if it had died you I would reccomend pulling the plugs and turn it over to pump the water out.

If there was sounds of slaping or pining something mechanical happened and It should be shut off and towed.

Sounds like you will be ok, Your pathy might even be running better before. It takes a surprising amount to killl a pathy and even more to do damage. Take it slow arround water and you should be fine. I've sucked some up several times and everytime it clears up and has some extra Kick for about 10-15 min after its cleared up.

Edited by MY1PATH

A splash O watter will make it run rough and sputter. the best thing you can do, If you only got a splash (no slaping or pinging sounds), Is drive it and keep the rpms above 3k rpm and it will clean out (literally).(don't rev it exessively, just keep the rpms up and be easy enough on the pedal to get it moving @ the rate thats it)

Now if it had died you I would reccomend pulling the plugs and turn it over to pump the water out.

If there was sounds of slaping or pining something mechanical happened and It should be shut off and towed.

Sounds like you will be ok, Your pathy might even be running better before. It takes a surprising amount to killl a pathy and even more to do damage. Take it slow arround water and you should be fine. I've sucked some up several times and everytime it clears up and has some extra Kick for about 10-15 min after its cleared up.

Ok wicked, just really wanted to make sure. Is there anything i can do to prevent it from dieing after a deeper puddle? Besides maybe a lift?

Just to clarify, When I say puddle I do not mean wash out as deep as the wheels. My Deep "puddles" are no higher than the hubs.

Snorkels are great for deep washouts and crossings. If you don't want to go all the way you can do a partial like mine.

th_snorkelside.jpg

Since most the splash goes up the front of the fender you'll get allot less water in the engine.

And on nose in approaches you intake will never be the lowest part.

Thanks for all the replys folks, After replacing the stock air filter for a cold air i realized i was flooding the engine with water in the air intake. The way the stock air is plumbed made it so the water could splash up and in which is what happened. The filter was soaked, I think the next upgrade is a safari snorkel for me anyways ^^.

One tip if you plan to play in a lot of wet stuff, put dielectric grease in all your wiring connections under the hood. It will help keep the water out of them and reduce any arcing. Also be carefull you don't fry the alternator, it sits so low it will get full of mud easily, it is a common post trail run part to be replaced.