need help urgently on ignition system

AnhTuan

Hi every body.

I have a 1987 Nissan Pathfinder with VG30i engine and currently it have problem with ignition system. Anybody know about it including cylinder layout and firing order please help me. Thanks alot

Firing order should be 1-2-3-4-5-6. Standing at the front looking at the engine, the #1 is passenger front, #6 is driver rear.

5 6

3 4

1 2

If you give more detail about your problem someone here should be able to help. What's it doing/not doing?

Edited by jj big shoe

Thanks a lot. My pathy engine does not work properly and I guest someone set the firing order wrongly. If anyone have service manual and wiring diagram please send me tuanva83@gmail.com I'm willing to overhaul the Engine and electric system

the Flat caps like your engine has do not route the wires sequentially.

If I remeber correctly some caps go

and others are

So read the numbers on the cap (not the order) when you route the wires to each cyl

and yes the cyl are

5 6

3 4

1 2

I upgrded to a newer style used on the MPFI engines So my pic won't help much.

but I'll see if I can dig up an older pic later this afternoon.

• 2 years later...

the Flat caps like your engine has do not route the wires sequentially.

If I remeber correctly some caps go

and others are

So read the numbers on the cap (not the order) when you route the wires to each cyl

and yes the cyl are

5 6

3 4

1 2

Thats exactly how my cap is layed out. What i dont get is if the firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6. Then shouldnt it be layed out that way on the distributor cap so it fires in order?. According to an autozone diagram the rotor spins counter clockwise? Wouldnt that make the firing order 1-3-5-4-6-2 or am i missing something?

0900c1528018ceed.gif

My terrano vg30i has had a missfire since i bought it so i am trying to find out if its that that the wires are in the wrong order or if its something else. The wires are all in the correct place according to the cap but im a little confused about this cap layout

Regardless of the numbers on the outside the contacts on the inside (swept by the rotor) always follow the same order. They just cross inside the cap.

Forgot about that, if you look inside the cap you can see how the raised parts cross,

The ports are labelled and the factory wires are also labelled and have different lengths. You just can't get this wrong. Maybe if you did not know that the firing order was sequential...

Ok thanks for that. I wasn't able to see this because my distributor cap screws are seized so ill need to extract them. I knew that the engine firing order was sequential and every wire is in place with the correct port number and plug but the distributor cap had me abit puzzled by the way the numbers were arranged so I though that maybe it had the wrong cap on.