95 Pathfinder Not passing smog high NOX readings

Jacobg

So i bought a pathfinder. Not smogged. Owner said check engine light came on and off. Went to smog it and light came on during the test. mechanic figured it needed a 02 sensor so he replaced that. It ran rough so he cleaned the maf and ecu connections. So it runs good now and no cel. He smogged and it passed but i had to test at a test only station and there it failed at 25 mph. I was trying to get an idea of anything else it could be. Mechanic checked the egr and it passed. Dont believe there are any holes in the exhaust and the car runs how it should. What can it be?

Check your ignition timing. You probably need to give the engine a tuneup: new plugs/cap/rotor/wires/timing. Sea-foam your engine to clean out the carbon. High NOX is usually caused by high combustion temperatures. You might also have a vaccuum leak, a clogged fuel filter, clogged fuel injectors, dying fuel pump. The engine might be overheating. Bad water pump/Thermostat/low coolant? Anything that causes the engine to run too lean/ too hot will have an adverse effect on NOX.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Edited by RJSquirrel

There are no sensors after the cat so the computer won't know if it's bad or not. It shouldn't cost you too much to get a hi-flow cat installed. Make sure to recycle the old one. It could net you $75-100 at a recycler.

Do you have the readings from the smog report?

yes i do.Ill tell u the numbers i got.

1st smog done by previous owner.

Nox 15mph--Max 350---330 pass

Nox 25mph--550---725 fail

Smog by my mechanic before new 02 sensor

15 mph-- 1200 gross pollute

25mph---1600 gross polluter

After 02 sensor smog

15mph-- 6 pass

25 mph--9 pass

Next day test only station smog

15 mph-330 pass

25 mph--1170 fail

After my mechanic passed it i still had to go to a test only because of the gross polluter fail in the beginning. Also the Rpm's at 25 mph were 1900 by my mechanic and were 2900 by both smogs done at other places. My mechanic says his computer tells him when to shift so hes gunna look at my car and call the bureau to see who is testing at the right rpm

You need to work out the test station issue, but regardless of that: At high RPMs, your engine is leaning out. This points to dirty MAF sensor (clean it, CAREFULLY), clogged fuel filter or seriously carboned-up engine from running super-rich with bad O2 sensor. Your timing may also be advanced too far, but if its all carboned up, I'd verify the EGR is really working as its supposed to (I know your mech said EGR passed).

In order of expense, I'd do the following:

1) Verify correct ignition timing (free, if you have a timing light)

2) Clean MAF sensor (~free if you are careful, $$$ if you are not and damage the sensor)

3) Clean EGR valve making sure it operates properly(~free)

4) Techron Fuel injector cleaner (~$8)

5) Replace fuel filter (~$20)

6) Sea-foam engine & Change oil/filter ( < $50 )

7) New plugs/rotor/cap/wires ( < $100 )

Beyond this, you'll want to look at the cooling system, Idle air control valve(stuck open?), Replacement of EGR valve and all vacuum hoses, new catalytic converter, or intake manifold vacuum leaks.

:my2cents: Good luck.

Edited by RJSquirrel

Okay. so the mechanic tested it again and passed on what the machine told him. He called the bureau and it said that every other time the car was tested at 2k rpm and for some reason the test only tested at 2950. Any people in Ca know what rpm their smog was ran at for 25 mph