RPM Change during Idle

vmodi

Last night I noticed that when I am in idle and I turn my wheel from left to right or right to left the RPM shoots up to about 1500 when I am moving the steering wheel in idle. I had my parking brake set and the gear in neutral (5-sp gearbox). Is this normal? If not, what should I do about it? Don't really see any driving difference.

Thanks.

While it is normal for your RPM to fluctuate when you turn your wheel when stopped, it going that high doesn't seem normal to me. Your power steering is one of those nasty parasitic drag devices which only really causes drag when you're turning your wheel, therefore the ECU compensates for that by adjusting the RPM.

It usally went down for me,change the fluid on the pump(suck it out with a baster and refill) It should be clear or a redish colar,any other and its worn out.Also,change your brake fluid the same way,just dont empty it so you have to bleed them.

That is really odd. I can't think of any reason for that other than the steering box is putting a large load on the motor and the ECU is overcompensating. Han you hear or feel anything abnormal when it does this?

It makes sense that it is only then you are idling and stationary (I'm assuming) because the wheels turn much easier when the truck is rolling...

B