2001 Pathfinder engine belts

Guest hurasame

Guest hurasame

Quick question to fellow Pathfinder owners...

I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. Took it too the dealer and they said I need new belts? I am the original owner and I currently have about 26,000 miles on the odometer.

Now as I recall the Pathfinder has chain belts for the engine. I do believe though the Pathfinder does have what they call multi belts for the alternator, fan, power steering and air conditioning (did a little researching on the net).

Now the question is how often are these belts changed? And second, i'm just seeing if the dealer is trying to do "unnecessary work" on my truck?

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks. :confused:

The timing belt should only need to be changed every 100,000 miles or so, so you won't need to have that done for a long time.

The engine accessory belts should be replaced every 30,000 miles or so, depending on their condition. If they're shot, replace them. Accessory belts are cheap compared to being stranded out in the middle of nowhere on the side of the road. :)

I just got all my belts replaced at 78k. I had a bad squealing/whistling during idle. It was annoying. From reading the other boards, everyone said to stick with Nissan belts. They're nice and quiet. So thats what I stuck with. I'm at 85k now. No complaints!

I changed mine out at about 45K. I was in the same situation, the dealer said I had to change my belts. Check the belts out for yourself and see if they are cracking. They are probably talking about the AC and/or alternator/Fan belts. I didn't even go Nissan belts. I went to pep boys or autozone and picked up my belts. No problems here.