how do you align tires wd21

Scaramoche

My1Path what is the controversy surrounding the grade 8 bolts? The local Ace has the standard grade 5 bolts at the 14mm x 1.5 60mm length but I don't want to use them if they're going to pose an issue.

So I guess what I'm asking is will I be okay if I use the grade 5 bolts or should I special order the stuff for the grade 8s?

Grade 5 stuff is soft...

I went ahead and ordered the 8, that is what I use when I mount winches, bumpers, etc anyway...

Just my opinion though...

As the saying goes where I work:

"Form your own opinion."

My1Path what is the controversy surrounding the grade 8 bolts? The local Ace has the standard grade 5 bolts at the 14mm x 1.5 60mm length but I don't want to use them if they're going to pose an issue.

So I guess what I'm asking is will I be okay if I use the grade 5 bolts or should I special order the stuff for the grade 8s?

Is it ok? Well the stock ones wern't hardened either so yes it would be ok.

the controversy against hardened goes on with a few points to both sides. I will start by debunking the false ones.

A hardended bolt (metric grade10.9) will shear instead of bend/ stretch so when it fails you are stranded.... THIS IS TRUE BUT!!! the force required to do this to a hardened bolt is such that a regular bolt wold have bent or stretched to the point of complete failure long before the hardened one.

Its better to have the bolt threads fail than the frame threads and its always better to have the replacable part be weaker. There is SOME truth to this but IMO as long as your bolt is long enogh (and not too long) to engage ALL the frame threads and is proplery torqued this will not happen. If its not long enough then yes it will pull the end threads out and then when you go longer there are still fewer threads so more strip out.

"and its always better to have the replacable part be weaker" Yes, but Its likey that the threaded nuts weled in the frame are the same harness (def NOT HARDER or I would have had less issues) I have no proof If they are the same or softer. If they are softer then the timeserts I used to repair my frame were an upgrade in thread strength...

"The stock bolts weren't hadened, maybe there was a reason for that"(like perserveing the frame threads) Yes there was a reason. same reason the ONLY hardened hareware Is inside your engine. Hardend materials cost aprox 2x as much. Come on, you know mfgrs want to save money, upgrades are up to you!

I have been using 10.9 metric bolts on my UCA's for some time now and have had NO ISSUES since I stopped letting monkeys with Pry-bars and impact gus do my alignment. A warning on Bolts If any bolt is too long and hits the inner frame it will put undue stress on the the threads...

...and then it will be easy for said monkey to make your day...

Edited by MY1PATH

next time get some timeserts. thats how I fixed mine. Unlike heli coils they are permenant locking and designed for repeated use. Once set they will not fall thru nor will they back out.

http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html

The "timesert" inserts look like a cool deal, just watched a few of their videos,

"....I got a golden ticket..."

(singing)

"...from My1path, the man..."

Yea, exactly...I love my grade 8 hardware!!

(And whenever my bolts get here...the alignment will be right as well...)