A/C is leaking water

Guest nfuerst

Guest nfuerst

Over the past few days, I have had the starter replaced and done some minor work in the engine compartment of my 93 Pathy (v6). Now, I'm having a problem with a great deal of water leaking into the passenger compartment from the A/C cooling unit (I think).

For a while I had heard a gurgling noise inside when the A/C was running. I looked to make sure that the A/C drain was working; which it was, as evidenced by the large puddles of water under the vehicle.

Yesterday, it seems like someone opened a water faucet under the dash and started letting water run into the passenger compartment. The fluid does not have a sweet odor, the coolant level is not dropping, nor is the leaking fluid oily, so I believe it is water. Also, I have not noticed any significant freon blowing up on the windshield when I turn on the defroster.

I removed the glove box, the metal shield behind the glove box and the blower unit. The blower unit seal was very wet (as expected given the amount of water leaking).

Where do I go from here?

I had a similar problem. The drain tube had gotten clogged from debris coming in througfh the blower under the passenger dash. Condensation overflowed the tray when turning and made a heck of a mess (not to mention some interesting noises when water spilled into the fan). Pulled out the fan unit and cleaned out the collection tray and drain tube. No problems now. I can give you better information when I get home tonight but it was pretty straight forward.

that would certainly tell you if the drain was clogged. For mine, it would have been a real short solution as I had lots of stuff in the collection tray that would have clogged it up right away again.

Guest nfuerst

I am having great difficulty removing the bottom of the collector tray. I removed the two screws from the back by the splash guard and removed 4 clips that appear to be holding the top and bottom half together. I also removed the little metal "thingy" where the electrical connector goes into the A/C unit.

I've been pulling and tugging at the bottom tray, but so far, cannot remove it to clean it out. I can clearly see inside the tray, and it is full of nasty, dirty water. I expect that the drain tube is clogged.

So, how do I go about removing the tray without breaking the darn thing?

I never pulled mine. Got in with a shop-vac and rubber hose and cleaned it out in place. Probed out the drain tube, then flushed with clean water from inside to make sure remaining crud drained out. I do recall that I tried to take it apart further but had great difficulty and decided not to.

Guest nfuerst

Well, I could not figure out how to remove the bottom try. As it turns out, that was not necessary, anyways.

I removed the drain tube from the bottom of the tray and discovered that the mechanics (the ones who replaced the starter a few days ago) had apparently shoved a bolt up inside the drain tube. It seems that they may have gotten upset at the water draining on them while they tried to work on the starter. Either that or they were ticked off at me because of the level of difficulty required to install the replacement starter compared to the amount of money that they quoted me for the job(especially given the fact that I brought in my own starter so that they could not rip me off on the cost of the starter).

I am hoping that they just "forgot" to remove the bolt. Either that or they realized that they shoved it so far up the tube that the only way to get it out was to push a wire through from the top end.

In any case, I got the bolt removed and all of the water from the tray came rushing out. I put the dash back together again, and there were no spare parts left over. :)

Case closed.

• 2 years later...

ok, so i have had the same problem for a while, figured the drain hose was just clogged...so yea i finally decided to fix it, after a 3 hour trip from richmond back home yeilded a soaked passenger carpet/whole area....

went about pulling apart the glovebox, and whatnot, (metal backing plate) and found out just how much water was still in there.....so i started pulling the bottom half off, cuz there has to be a way, but couldnt....

cleaned it out as best as i could, found a bunch of debris in there, leaves and whatnot...

so has anyone found a way to get the whole bottom half of the collector tray off???

-sam