94 XE-V6 Automatic Overdrive Problem

JimInMokena

My 94 XE-V6 is having problems with the automatic overdrive. I took it to the Nissan dealer and, of course, they said the trans needed to be replaced at a cost of about $2,000.00. Screw that!

"The Beast" ran fine until a few months ago, when it started slipping out of auto-overdrive, back into 3rd gear. Some days it would do this and other days it wouldn't.

Now it will not go into OD at all. I have to keep it at 45 MPH and 2500 RPM's in 3rd, or it drinks the gas.

I'm thinking Trans Temp Sensor or Throttle Position Sensor. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how can I fix it?

The odometer just clicked over 100,000. The trans is fine. It has to be something electrical.

Edited by JimInMokena

Go into the Garage section and download the Factory Service Manual pinned at the top. It has an entire diagnostic section on the auto tranny. Warning, the stock cooler in the radiator is prone to clogging so most of us install aftermarket coolers and bypass the stock one. If yours is clogging and you keep driving, you will overheat and fry what is left of the tranny. Hopefully yours is not past hope, but start with the diagnostics. When is the last time the tranny has been serviced?

B

Go into the Garage section and download the Factory Service Manual pinned at the top. It has an entire diagnostic section on the auto tranny. Warning, the stock cooler in the radiator is prone to clogging so most of us install aftermarket coolers and bypass the stock one. If yours is clogging and you keep driving, you will overheat and fry what is left of the tranny. Hopefully yours is not past hope, but start with the diagnostics. When is the last time the tranny has been serviced?

B

I had it in for a fluid & filter change about a year ago. Thanks for the tip on the download. Will check it out now.

There is a slight chance that somehow your TPS got misaligned or went bad.

I just bought and installed a new Throttle Position Sensor about half-an-hour ago. Is there some special direction it should be installed? All I did was put it on and kinda "center it" from left to right.

That is definitely the wrong way. The TPS is a delicate electro-device that gives the ECU exact figures. So basically how you have it now, is that the ECU is thinking the throttle is at one position, when it's really at another.

In the FSM it should tell you how to set it. You'll probably need some sort of multimeter to read the signal that the TPS is putting out.

Yes definitely make sure the TPS is adjusted properly or the trans will shift funny. I messed with mine once and now the tranny won't shift into 2nd below 2k rpm :/

Yes definitely make sure the TPS is adjusted properly or the trans will shift funny. I messed with mine once and now the tranny won't shift into 2nd below 2k rpm :/

If someone who has fixed this problem before can tell me how and what to do, I would greatly appreciate it.