Got My Transmission In!

Kyle94

General thoughts? Are there any tricks to anything or complications I should be aware of? I'm getting ready to install a new automatic into an '89 Pathfinder.

General thoughts? Are there any tricks to anything or complications I should be aware of? I'm getting ready to install a new automatic into an '89 Pathfinder.

I don't know about the auto,mine is a manual, on mine I have to remove the torsion bar crossmember, tranny mount crossmember, and.... The exhaust Y-pipe, but depending on how yours is setup, it may have different requirements for you... The guy that did the clutch before I bought it screwed the tranny up because he didn't put enough oil in it, (through the top) and he drove it like a mad man, and didn't put any of the exhaust gaskets back on, nor did he clean out the fragment of clutch disc that exploded, or reset the torsion bars(correctly) but this time we did it the right way. As far as yours I can say to much...we did it on the ground also, maybe be easier on a lift? ;)

on my 92 auto from salt ridden winter NJ removing the trans was aweful...esp without a life wound up bringing it to my mechanic. I am very familar around a car and thing pathfinders are worse then the average on removing the trans, at least the automatics are. Rust was def a major issue for me. I'd rather work more overtime at work and pay my honest mechanic then fight with that thing again!

Scott

Going with a rebuild, or the HD upgrade?

So i got my transmission in on saturday, all in one day! and its quiet, still have to put the interior shifter boots on but hey!

So lemme ask ya something ... how brutally heavy is the transmission and transfer case to re and re ? I'm doing an engine swap and am having issues with getting the damn thing out, so I am thinking about pulling the transmission and t/case to aid in getting the engine out for one, but I think the trans/transfer case in the donor vehicle is in better shape too ... so I'm thinkin bugger it ... switch the entire driveline over ! Reason I ask is that I'm workin solo ( altho I can get some extra hands to help ... ), but I could get a floor jack and a tranny jack adapter ... cuz I'm guessing the thing weighs a TON !!

Going with a rebuild, or the HD upgrade?

It's not mine and is not going in my truck. It's a transmission from a '98 with 26,000 miles on it. I'm installing it for a guy who is buying the spare Pathfinder that needs the transmission from my friend Tim. He's not as nimble as he used to be so he offered me the work and to make some money.

To make it easier I'm going to split the tranny and transfer case...

So lemme ask ya something ... how brutally heavy is the transmission and transfer case to re and re ? I'm doing an engine swap and am having issues with getting the damn thing out, so I am thinking about pulling the transmission and t/case to aid in getting the engine out for one, but I think the trans/transfer case in the donor vehicle is in better shape too ... so I'm thinkin bugger it ... switch the entire driveline over ! Reason I ask is that I'm workin solo ( altho I can get some extra hands to help ... ), but I could get a floor jack and a tranny jack adapter ... cuz I'm guessing the thing weighs a TON !!

Its pretty heavy, I would get some help if I were you, especially if u have someone that can, and we took the tranny and transfer case out with out splitting them, and get some help especially if you're on the ground... :)

Its pretty heavy, I would get some help if I were you, especially if u have someone that can, and we took the tranny and transfer case out with out splitting them, and get some help especially if you're on the ground... :)

Thanks for the heads up on that one !! Now to either get a tranny jack, an extra body ... or split the tranny and t/case apart ( but that sounds like FAR too much work !! )

To make it easier I'm going to split the tranny and transfer case...

I wouldn't. Rent or borrow a tranny jack and have a helper, that is the best and most painless way to do it...

B

I wouldn't. Rent or borrow a tranny jack and have a helper, that is the best and most painless way to do it...

B

What B said. :) up there^