Got Code 35 "egr Temp Sensor" - Solved!

ahardb0dy

checked the codes few minutes ago, getting #35, egr temp sensor, haven't done any troubleshooting yet just wanted to know if this may be why truck smells like it is running rich? thanks

Edited by ahardb0dy

Yes, your truck has a EGR temp Sensor. Its just below, and in behind of, the sensor you pointed out in your picture.

egrtempsensor.gif

It is usually do to the lack of EGR flow, or too much flow. Check the operation of your EGR system and go from there...

I saw that in the service manual I just don't see it on the engine, I may make a junkyard trip this weekend and start removing parts from one of their engines until I find where it is.

EGR seems to be operating correctly, that temp sensor is strange as I was looking in the wiring diagrams in the service manual and it shows a plug for that sensor for the KA24 engine but not the VG30 ????

surprised no one is replying to this topic, anyway going down to the guy who did my engine swap to see if he can fix the AC and possibly replace the master cylinder, his wife just called me to let me know he was working at his shop today. They weren't sure if he was going to as last weekend at some motorcycle meet he fell and hurt his back (in the shower!!). She also said the old engine he took out of my truck is still sitting there and they want me to take it, so I'll pick it up and when I get home if it has that temp sender I'll take a few pics showing exactly where it is.

If yours is a California model it will have an EGR sensor. It looks similar to an O2 sensor but has two male plugs coming out of it, one larget than the other; the smaller being a round plug the larger being an oval one.

If it is not california, it is a random error code caused by the ECU recieving an input outside its perameters taht it doesnt know what to do with, so it flashes code 35 or 45 when it should go to 55. Had this pop up twice on my old federal vehicle both times right after filling up at a gs station.

Edited by Alkorahil

4cyl or V6 If yours is a California model it will have an EGR sensor. It looks similar to an O2 sensor but has two male plugs coming out of it, one larget than the other; the smaller being a round plug the larger being an oval one.

If it is not california, it is a random error code caused by the ECU recieving an input outside its perameters taht it doesnt know what to do with, so it flashes code 35 or 45 when it should go to 55. Had this pop up twice on my old federal vehicle both times right after filling up at a gs station.

Ok, finally got to the bottom of this mystery, went to my buddies shop who did the engine swap today, he still had the old engine, he found the EGR temp sensor, turns out it connects to a plug that is on the engine harness, that is why I did not see it in the service manual as I was looking at the under hood diagram. anyway went out to the pathfinder and looked for the sensor ( now that I knew where it was) and it is not there, only thing is a plug. Than found out that the engine harness that is on the JDM engine in the truck now does not even have a plug for this sensor. So I removed the engine harness from the old engine and will run the 2 wires from the EGR temp sensor to the under hood harness instead of replacing the whole harness. As to there being 2 plugs there is only one. Other thing is in the FSM looking at the engine harness it says the EGR temp sensor is For California , than I just remembered the old engine was from a junkyard vehicle not sure which one, so maybe the car/truck they got the old engine from had Ca. emissions, but if that was the case the ECU shouldn't throw a code for something it did not have in the first place?? Who knows, I'm going to wait to the engine cools and connect the sensor and see what happens, thanks

put the sensor in yesterday, had a little hard time getting the plug out than couldn't get the sensor in, had to remove the EGR valve to get some more room, also replaced the spark plugs, the one's that were in there were NGK but they were not the right heat range. No more engine light !! Oh, and the plug for the sensor was there already it just had a cap in it.