Custom Rear Deck

ColoradoGMA

for a long time, i've had the idea of building a deck in the back of a SUV... that way, i could sleep on top of the deck in my truck on fishing trips and store my gear below the deck in tubs, etc...

so, i finally got around to working on it this week...

i built it in two sections... one for the "way" back, that can stay in when the rear seats are up, and another section that can go in when the seats are folded down, creating one, large flat deck. i used some turnbuckles to secure it to the floor of the truck, to keep it steady.

i'm pretty pleased with how it looks, and i can't wait to try it out soon!!

i'll try to take some higher res pics soon...

raw1.JPG

raw2.JPG

carpetedrear.JPG

carpetedfront.JPG

whee!

Thats a cool idea. I thought about making a pair of slide out drawers for the back so my gear would always be stored and I could throw other thing on top of them when I needed the space.

James

for a long time, i've had the idea of building a deck in the back of a SUV... that way, i could sleep on top of the deck in my truck on fishing trips and store my gear below the deck in tubs, etc...

I have already slept in my path and I find it a little bit short.

But with the deck that go over the folded rear seat it look great.

Can you tell me what lengh it gives you.

I thought about doing the same thing, in the end i built a teardrop trailer. Largly because i camp alot, for multiple days, and usually my pathy is filled with gear.

And a teardrop trailer is great too !

Wher did you take your plan, was this a costly project.

I have already slept in my path and I find it a little bit short.

But with the deck that go over the folded rear seat it look great.

Can you tell me what lengh it gives you.

If you aren't going to use the rear seats, you can also just unbolt the bottom portion, then fold down the rest for another 12"+ of space

I see it now. :shrug:

Yes, what was previously said about removing the seat bottoms, but it doesn't give you the storage space. I'd be banging elbows and heads all night though...

B

it's still pretty short, overall... the rear deck is 36" L (nose to rear) x48" wide (drivers to passengers), and the front is 28" x 48"

so, it'll only sleep one, in reality, unless you're really really short. if i put the front seats up, that adds a few inches of over lap, which is nice...

i made it pretty "tall" too, so i could fit lots of stuff underneath.

now i need to figure out a way to hang some bug netting in the windows, so i can have a cool night breeze without the little bugs sucking my blood.

a little privacy would be nice, too...

but, mainly, it's just a fun project.

happy pathfinding!

now i need to figure out a way to hang some bug netting in the windows, so i can have a cool night breeze without the little bugs sucking my blood.

Buy a roll of screen and some magnet strips. Cut the screen to fit over the entire window and some of the body. Glue the magnets around the perimeter of the screen. Quick and removable.