Turbo R50

180sx

So I've been looking at Z31 stuff to see what can we do with our engines. Ran across this.

http://z31.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10010

Everything is just pretty much bolted on from the VG30ET. This looks so cool...Only issues are engine bay room and engine control, but the latter shouldn't be too hard if you have the schematic.

I know this has been discussed before, but that was a long time ago, so now that we have some new members, maybe we can get more input from them. I'm currently looking into finding a 300ZXT donor car..

Jose

i've always thought about something like this when i used to have a WD21. they use the exact same engines, and IIRC, some guys were able to successfully swap a VG30ET into their maximas.

i've never really looked into it as there aren't any swap kits or what not out there for these swaps and i don't have the money/time to get into it. i've always just wanted to swap the VG30ET straight into the WD21, but without actually researching that option, i would assume the trannys are quite a bit different. this makes some more of that much easier for the 1G R50s. didn't look through the whole post, but depending on how much boost you actually want to run, getting some low CR pistons would be great, unless running a max of 7-8psi is fine with you. it would definitely be fun to drive, that's for sure.

So my big question is, why does everything from a VG30ET need to be bolted to the 33 instead of just the exhaust manifolds? Sure you need to change things like the fuel pump, fuel injectors, ECM, intake piping, MAP sensor, etc but why do they switch the oil pan and stuff?

Also does it mention what they did for engine management aka tuning? I guess it wouldn't be needed if everything else was kept stock.

So my big question is, why does everything from a VG30ET need to be bolted to the 33 instead of just the exhaust manifolds? Sure you need to change things like the fuel pump, fuel injectors, ECM, intake piping, MAP sensor, etc but why do they switch the oil pan and stuff?

Also does it mention what they did for engine management aka tuning? I guess it wouldn't be needed if everything else was kept stock.

You're absolutely right. It would be a pretty extensive job, not to mention you'd need to explore relocation of other hardware to fit a dual cam engine in the R50 engine bay. I tinkered with this idea back in '09, and even after sourcing a donor motor (JDM VG30DETT), I was told this type of custom job would be too pricy. Not to say it isn't possible; I don't think the end result would be worth the time, money and energy. Hell, I would drop in a RB26DETT but that's just me... :shrug:

A custom turbo kit for the VG33E would be a more practical alternative and far less pricy. Failing that, you could look at swapping in a VG33ER from the D22 Frontier/Xterra or a QD32ETI turbo diesel from the JDM R50 (Terrano). :aok:

If you do decide on going balls to walls, just make you post it all!!! :beer:

If you can find a donor vehicle then that would be the best way to go. Otherwise all custom is better then trying to piece stuff together. But everything comes with a price and for a decent setup your going to be in the hole at least 3-4 grand. I would think with the lack of tuning software for our ECM's (at least that I know of), you would have to go with a aftermarket ECM as well.

But if you were to do it on a strict budget here's what you could do:

- Build your own manifolds, one crosses over to the other side and they meet up to the turbo. Usually it crosses over to the pass side due to the steering arm.

- Run a MSD or like timing module to retard timing while in boost

- Get a EIC (extra injector controller) and mount a couple large injectors on the intake piping to compensate for fueling

Things like the battery would have be to relocated inside the vehicle (using a AGM battery) to make room. You would probably lose most of your emission equipment which would also free up room. I would recommend finding a way to mount up an intercooler but meth injection could be used in place.

The only thing I don't know about these engines is how they respond to boost and how much they can hold.

If you read more into it, this isn't really a hard swap. Get a donor motor, and take the pieces. They only swapped over stuff from the vg30 to 33 to make it work for the z31 chassis. All you would need is the main turbo stuff, the cams (maybe, I would look into getting Maxima cams for mid level power), the ecu wired to work, a different MAF, new exhaust and custom plumbing. Sure theres little things, but this seems real doable. You wouldn't NEED an intercooler, as the stock motor doesn't have it,and the Z31 guys say at stock levels, it doesn't do much good anyway. I'm really going to look more into this (starting with the ECU). The VG33ER is probably easier, and it has been done before, but a turbo is just wicked.

And ty, this isn't a quad cam like te Z32 VG30DETT, so that's not an issue.

I'll get back to this!!

Jose

yes, this is the VG30ET engine, not the Z32 DETT. there's more room with the ET.

the Z31 ETs were pretty awesome engines. the turbo Z31s, in general, were great cars. responded very well to light modifications, and were very underrated motors/cars. much like the MKIII Supras, they respond very well to mods and can make gobs of powers. you just have to be gentle with it in a few areas and know your way around it (i.e. the MKIII Supra had very weak HGs).

This really isn't a very difficult conversion. You need custom exhaust manifolds and a turbo drain fitting welded into your oil pan. I would put the turbo up top on the passenger's side front corner. Everything else required is in a Z31T donor car. You have to use the complete injection system, ECU, and harness from the donor car as a set. I'm not sure where you'd have to cross the exhaust under but my guess is that an SFD would make for TONS of room and lots of room for a downpipe as well. I'm going to guess that a bone stock VG33ET running 10psi and no intercooler will make 250hp and it will certainly live forever. You don't need anything aftermarket for 10psi so this could be done on the cheap. The exhaust manifolds are the difficult/expensive part though the wiring isn't going to be a whole lot of fun either!

I wouldn't do this on an off-roader of course but check it out: Remote Mount Turbo Project I think he's got $390 into the whole thing. Yeah, it's ghetto but I was really surprised that it works, and apparently it works quite well.