Tire Size Question For 16" Wheels

raz

Hi guys,

Quick question on tire sizes for a stock PF.

Mine is a 2001 3.5L manual with KYB Struts and OME springs

No real lift.

I've got 16" wheels and am getting some BFG AT. Without cutting, can I run 265/70 R16 size tires, or do I need 255/70 R16?

Also, if they don't rub on the road, will they rub off road with all the jarring going on?

Thx,

Raz

No real lift... I'm assuming you are still at stock height?

I'd go with the 255/70R16. I had BFG KM2 255/70/R16 when I was stock with sagging coils and it never rubbed on the road and off the road.

The 265/70R16 is a 32" tire. I think it might rub without the suspension lift when doing full turn. As well, I think you'll need new rims with 3.75" backspacing if you wanna go with the 32". Otherwise the top of the tire will be in contact with the struts...

Edited by dududuckling

If it works it will be tight.

Take a look at this pic in my photobucket album plus the next 11 pics in the sequence.

I do not think this is at full flex, but it is getting there, best I could do with where I was.

These pics are stock size 1st gen Xterra rims and tires on my pathy (same offset etc) which I believe are P265 70 16.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t199/Bow_Tied/Pathy/PathywXrims008.jpg

I don't think they would rub, or if they did it would not be by a lot - only worst case. If you are a risk taker, go for it.

Standard tire size would be

255 70 16 = 30 1/16" OD

265 70 16 = 30 5/8" OD

However this should be verified as brand and type could vary this...

Opps... my bad... 265/75R16 is a 32" tire. I guess since 265/70R16 is a 31", I know a guy who runs that size without rubbing at stock height on older R50. Tire-to-strut clearance is quite tight. Even if it rubs, its just very minor like what Edwin mentioned. Its up to you.

I have 31x10.5 R15 and they are sbout the same size as 265x70 R16

My truck is 99 and the tire are rubbing a LITTLE when I back up at full lock

If you can live with that, go ahead it is very minor.

But I think I have wheel with more backspacing than stock, I don't know for sure and

I don't know how to mesure

Cool, thx a lot guys,

I ended up with the 255/70 R16 mainly because that's all they had in stock.

After mounting these, it's obvious the 265/70 would have fit but tightly.

And the rubbing would have been minimal if any.

Next time, I'll get the 265 for sure.

Thx,

Raz

• 3 years later...

Hey guys, OME lift getting installed tomorrow, gonna have to ditch my factory LE 17" wheels soon and I am buying some 16 inch with 3.75 backspacing, think I will be ok with 265/75/16 tires with a little trimming?

With the AC lift and 1" strut spacers I was able to fit 32/11.5/15's , pretty much the same height as your 265/75/16's .

I had to remove the mud flaps (or the tires would have done it for me) , and some trimming is still needed .

With the OME and those wheels you should be good , but as you say , I'd expect to have to do some trimming .